The Miracle Pot Pulled Pork Project

Em Carpenter

Em was one of those argumentative children who was sarcastically encouraged to become a lawyer, so she did. She is a proud life-long West Virginian, and, paradoxically, a liberal. In addition to writing about society, politics and culture, she enjoys cooking, podcasts, reading, and pretending to be a runner. She will correct your grammar. You can find her on Twitter.

1. Avatar Murali says:

I have a stove top pressure cooker. Is an electric pressure cooker really better?Report

• Avatar atomickristin says:

It’s significantly easier, especially if you have one of those stoves that lacks finesse in the temp of its burners. I’ve used both and vastly, vastly prefer the Instant Pot. I put my stovetop cooker away to be used only for canning.Report

• Avatar Em Carpenter says:

Honestly, I’ve never used the stove-top variety, because I vividly remember when my grandma’s exploded all over her kitchen.
      But my understanding is this one is less prone to error and much easier to use. The IP pressure doesn’t get high enough for canning so you’d still need stove too for that.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog says:

Modern pressure cookers are considerably safe than the old ones. I can imagine how my parents’ pressure cooker could explode if the pressure release valve werent properly cleaned and the lid were only half engaged. It’s also possible to open theirs before the pressure drops, which could get you splashed with superheated soup

Ours is a couple of generations newer, and has a much safer design. There are two locks on the lid – one linked to the pressure control valve and one to the fail safe release valve. You can’t even set the pressure control unless the lid is fully on. The only way to open it is to release the pressure (unlocking one catch) and then wait until it has fully equalised (unlocking the other).Report

2. Avatar George Turner says:

Your recipe looks pretty close to an Eastern North Carolina style BBQ sauce, though with less vinegar.

I’ve thought about getting an InstaPot, but I’m still using a cheap old-school pressure cooker.Report

3. Avatar atomickristin says:

Great piece (and I’m planning to frequently link to it in the sandwich posts!) Thanks so much for writing it!

I often put some Dr. Pepper in the pulled pork.Report

4. Avatar dragonfrog says:

This sounds really yummy! And much more practical than my pulled pork method.

I usually cook the pork on the barbecue, with the coals in a long ‘fuse’ and the air valve mostly closed so it burns over the course of eight hours or so. It’s pretty finicky and hard to get consistent. I still use the slow cooker to infuse it with sauce after it’s been pulled apart, and serve from.Report

5. Avatar Stillwater says:

Great post, combining two of my favorite things: cool kitchen tools and pulled pork. Ima try that recipe. Thanks for posting it!Report