Senator Kirsten Gillibrand to Announce Presidential Run

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire.

1. Avatar LeeEsq

Finally. This is who I wanted to be the Democratic nominee in 2020.Report

• Avatar Kolohe in reply to LeeEsq

The Franken thing is bs, but I got to think her pre-Senate record (much more blue dog-ish) is going to be a liability – more than even Harris’s. (or Warren’s, who was notionally a Republican once upon a time)

And New York people always have significant connections to Wall Street (as do New Jersey people, c.f. Booker)

but then again, someone has to win the nomination.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Kolohe

The Franken thing won’t be a big deal with the voters. Hard to say if it’ll be a problem during the invisible primary but if it hurts her that’s where it’ll sting. Fortunately Frankens seat stayed blue so I think the damage is limited.Report

• Avatar Michael Drew in reply to LeeEsq

You too, huh?

How come?Report

2. Avatar Iron Tum

The best thing about KG is she always represents her constituents.

Back when she was confined to representing a bunch of upstate hicks, she was all “Guns !! Hoo-yes!! Yee-Haw! Bangbangbang!” But now that she represents real New Yorkers she can drop all of that crap. She has her fingers (or at least her pollsters) on the pulse of the nation and will immediately align her beliefs to reflect the popular will.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

Not crazy about the “Northeastern Liberal” thing but I think that she’s probably got the best shot out of anybody.

Say what you will about the Franken thing, but she did not flinch from the “BSDI” argument but instead bit the bullet. I reckon that the Party Establishment will tear her to shreds, but I could see her beating Trumpler.Report

4. Avatar InMD

All these law and order anti-due process fanatics ain’t my type. I hope for her swift defeat.Report