Taking The Joy Out: The Cliffhanger

Clare Briggs

Clare Briggs

Clare Briggs is a famous cartoonist who lived from 1875 to 1930. Poems by Wilbur Nesbitt.

1. Avatar atomickristin

Growing up, I got Cricket Magazine and they ALWAYS had serialized stories and I absolutely hated it. Something would invariably happen to the next edition of the magazine and I’d never get to read the ending. Sooo frustrating.Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to atomickristin

I remember how mad I used to be when GI Joe had a two-parter. That’s indicative of how literary I was. But I did like the payoff. The funny thing is that there were stories I thought were epic five parters that were, in fact, two episodes and 40 minutes long.Report

• Avatar Kristin Devine in reply to Will Truman

There was a show called The Banana Splits that had ongoing serialized cartoons. One of them was Huckleberry Finn where Tom, Huckleberry, and Becky get lost in the cave, like, forever. And the cave was magical so they went to lots of different worlds. It. Never. Resolved. They’re still stuck in there for all I know.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to atomickristin

There was an episode of Batman (the 1966 version) that ended with an allusion to the lady and the tiger. Batman had to pick one of two doors… behind one was Catwoman. Behind the other was… THE TIGER! AND HE PICKED THE TIGER!!!!

And the conclusion was next week!

I first saw that episode when I was 8. I went on to see that episode 4 times. I didn’t see the exciting conclusion until my early 30’s.

As it turns out, Batman just used his Bat Tiger Repellent or something. Then he walked into the door that the tiger came out of and the room was set up so that the Tiger would have come out no matter which door he picked.

Which was really awesome. I wish I had seen that when I was 8.Report

• Avatar Fish in reply to Jaybird

Who was the villain?Report

• Avatar Kristin Devine in reply to Jaybird

Ah, I remember that.

The Batmans were always shown out of order, it was really irritating. I actually kind of wondered at first if the cliffhangers were a joke, like Batman was always just left in mortal peril with no resolution but eventually I started catching the endings. I was disappointed because most of them were indeed something along the lines of “Bat Tiger Repellant.”

I remember my mind was blown in the 8th grade when we were assigned the Lady and the Tiger because I realized “they were spoofing this on Batman!”Report

2. Avatar Fish

Boys Life serialized John Christopher’s Tripods trilogy (in graphic novel form) and I stopped getting the magazine before the story was finished. I had to (had to!) check the books out from the library and read the whole thing to see how it finished.Report

3. Avatar Slade the Leveller

What about the poor readers waiting on the next book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series?Report