Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized after fall in her office

Jaybird

1. Avatar Burt Likko says:

She can have three of mine to make up for it.

Get better soon, Your Honor.Report

2. Avatar Aaron David says:

Ugh, I have broken ribs before, wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Heres to a speedy recovery.Report

3. Avatar j r says:

Does anyone have any views on why Ginsberg is the one who became the “Notorious RBG?” There are three women on the court and Sotomayor is the most consistently left-leaning and perhaps the most vociferous dissenter. Why has Ginsberg become the icon?

Is it just because she’s the longest serving of the women? Or is just the way the pop culture stars lined up?Report

• Avatar jason says:

I would guess pop culture stars lining up.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Elena Kagan has always been a two-namer. Sonia Sotomayor has always been a two-namer.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg? She’s always been a three-namer. That gives an opportunity for initials and since the last one is G…Report

• Avatar atomickristin says:

I don’t know exactly either, but I remember being bemused by this hot take (which has some of the backstory in it). They giveth the cool nickname and then u say the wrong thing because, you know, you’re kind of old or whatever, and then they taketh the cool nickname away. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2016/10/ruth-bader-ginsburgs-kaepernick-comments-end-the-notorious-rbg-myth.html

I hope she has a speedy recovery.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

My perception is that it’s length of service. People younger than me don’t even remember Sandra Day O’Connor. I still think of Kagan and Sotomayor as Johnny Come Latelies and a lot of people older than me can barely even keep track of the names of the justices of whatever gender that they don’t personally align with….

But Ruth Bader Ginsberg? Iconic. She’s seemingly always been there. And she had an impressive, well-known track record even before she became a justice. Heck, *in Canada* we knew about her.

Plus the 3 initials ending in G thing, I’m sure.Report

• Avatar Jan says:

Watch the movie, The Notorious RBG, I believe it makes a pretty good case. But, it would be nice to learn more about Sotomayor and Kagan.Report

4. Avatar Em Carpenter says:

RBG is amazing. For those not familiar, she pulled a genius move to get the court to be willing to pay attention to and hear a sex discrimination case: she brought it on behalf of a man!
    GE-NI-US.
    She got the holding she needed, setting a legal precedent that would necessarily be applicable to women.

But yeah, I think it’s the three initials, especially the G on the end.Report