Spooky Season: Halloween Songs Off The Beaten Path

Kristin Devine

Kristin is a geek, a libertarian, and a domestic goddess. She lives in a wildlife refuge in rural Washington state with too many children and way too many animals and works with women around the world as a fertility counselor. There's also a blog which most people would very much disapprove of https://atomicfeminist.com/

1. Avatar Sam Wilkinson

Jeffrey Lewis’s “Shoot The Head Kill The Ghoul” is a great one.Report

2. Avatar Em Carpenter

Anyone remember “Stay”, by Shakespeare’s Sister? It was a creepy ass song with a creepy ass video back in, I believe, the early 90s. Watching it now it doesn’t seem all that bad, but that abrupt change at 2 minutes in still gets me.

• Avatar atomickristin in reply to Em Carpenter

Oooh I like that a lot – but then again I’m inclined to like anything that came from an album called “Hormonally Yours”.

I have to think on the subtext of that video a little more. It speaks to me somehow.Report

3. Avatar jason

Heavy metal is great for this. Metallica’s “The Thing That Should Not Be” and “Welcome Home (Sanitarium)” are both excellent songs with creepy Halloween vibes.

Or there’s Ghost, a band that combines pop, heavy metal, and a touch of Satan. Listen to Ghost.Report

4. Avatar Slade the Leveller

My go to for years has been Pink Floyd’s A Saucerful of Secrets looped on the stereo until the trick or treaters stop coming.

5. Avatar Aaron David

Because it is far too awesome not to post; Dr Seuss’ Red Right Hand

6. Avatar Maribou

It is of course totally on the beaten path, but my longtime Hallowe’en favorite (and favorite generally) is TV on the Radio’s Wolf Like Me:

gets at a lot of what I like about the werewolf genre.Report

7. Avatar Andrew Donaldson

So one from my German days that registers on the creepy meter. This actually got to be a big enough hit they did an English version as well, but the German, especially the fill of the angry little kid counting in it, really makes this. It’s roughly a take on “hide and seek” with the chorus loosely translatable to what American children would say “ready or not, here I come”.

8. Avatar Anne

One of my all time favorites of course I love anything Bauhaus or Peter Murphy has done

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXn7jhXc5w&w=560&h=315%5DReport

9. Avatar Jaybird

Left a gimungous bowl of candy on the front porch with a small sign that said:

“Please take one. (If you are extra cute or extra scary or extra whatever it is that Superheroes or Star Wars characters are, you can take two.)”

I came home to a bowl that I don’t know whether or not it has even been touched.

Got a call from my mother-in-law a few moments ago and she told me that my brother-in-law did something similar so he could take his kiddo out around the block and, when he came home, not only was the candy gone, but the bowl was too.

While the idea of someone stealing all of the candy irritates me, it’s a risk that I knew I was willing to take when I left the bowl on the front porch.

But stealing the bowl too?

Man. That’s *LOW*.Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Jaybird

We moved to one of “those” neighborhoods, the ones that all the parents take the kids to for a nice night. I two hours we have gone through 6-7 bags of candy. Groups of kids, families it looks like, very polite and happy to pet my dog. It has been a very nice night.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon in reply to Aaron David

Bug was super excited to go, but some of our neighbors went a bit overboard for Bug. He came home early, changed into his puppy dog footie jammies, and helped Dad hand out candy all night.

I heard more teenage girls say, “Oh My God, he’s just SOOO cute!”…Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Jaybird

Governor Jerry Brown handing out treats outside the governor’s mansion yesterday. I think the criteria for choosing a Democratic presidential candidate for 2020 should include “Have you handed Halloween candy out to kids at least once in the last five years?”Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Michael Cain

Ronald Ziegler pretends to be Richard Nixon on the twitters and every year he tweets something like this for Halloween:

All costumed children who visit the Nixon home between 6 and 10 p.m. on October 31 will receive a candy bar of their choice, a can of soda, and a signed card. – RZ

I shouldn’t find that half as charming as I do.Report

• Avatar atomickristin in reply to Jaybird

I hope they got a huge stomachache. :/Report

10. Avatar Jaybird

Welp. Halloween’s over.

Who wants to talk about “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”?Report

11. Avatar Mike Schilling

Late to the party, but this is an old favorite:

12. Avatar atomickristin