The Weekend Plans Post: On Being An Uncle

Jaybird

1. Avatar Reformed Republican says:

No big plans this weekend. My son and I both need haircuts. We have the usual chores planned. Other than that, probably just watching Netflix and playing Monster Hunter World. I may try to watch the Impact (formerly TNA) PPV this Sunday. I have not watched their show in a while, and I am curious how things are going with the current management.Report

2. Avatar fillyjonk says:

I have no real plans.

It’s Homecoming here, but I have no school spirit whatsoever (I am not an alum of the place where I teach) and we’re not being asked to do any alumni events (we have done stuff like “recent grads who are in grad school doing mini symposia on their research” in the past) and we’re supposed to get something like 3″ of rain so I’m going to pick up the few groceries I need from the OTHER grocery store in town (I did my big grocery run yesterday) after I get out of class, and then I think I just stay home this weekend. Maybe I do a “film festival of movies I don’t need to watch too hard* but that provide nice background noise and color” and work on my various knitting projects

(*AKA movies I have seen before: Zootopia, and Guardians of the Galaxy, and Big Hero Six….or maybe not Guardians of the Galaxy, it can be kind of loud and violent and I am feeling especially jangled right now and just need sort of quiet soothing things where I know nothing bad will happen and if a character “dies” there will be a save-point so they can come back….)

This is the first weekend in a while I’ve had no commitments so I think I am justified in taking Saturday off and doing what I want.

I may also do some “spa day” type stuff, do a mud masque, do the “foot treatment” that allegedly helps break down calluses….this summer was hard on me, physically.Report

3. Avatar jason says:

I don’t know what we’re doing. We were supposed to go to a friend’s house for his 50th birthday on Saturday, but my sister in law died on Thursday, so we’re not really in a mood to party. She had been in a rehab facility, but was then sent to the hospital on Tuesday, and then the hospital sent her to a hospice center on Wednesday. Fucking cancer, man. It’s good that she didn’t have a lot of time suffering and was able to have a peaceful death with her husband and son by her side.
    So the wife and I will probably hang out–maybe do the netflix thing. I might play some Star Wars Legion or maybe work on painting some of the minis.Report

4. Avatar Aaron David says:

Monday was the wife and I’s anniversary, but that isn’t a fun night to celebrate, so tomorrow we will get slightly dressed up, walk the 10-12 blocks down to one of the nicer restaurants in our little town, have a few drinks with dinner and then walk home. Which reminds me, I need to get a haircut.Report

5. Avatar Maribou says:

The headcold I’ve been fighting all week is starting to make progress into my chest, so I’m taking a vacation from my vacation for the day, to be sick. Drinking Coca-Cola on my sister’s couch at the moment. My mom might make me casserole for later or she might not come over at all.

Bleah.

I hate being sick.

But until I got to this point, it was a fun vacation. And I’m sure if I get better soon it will be a fun vacation again.Report

6. Avatar Fish says:

A few weeks ago we had a plumbing issue with a toilet in a bathroom that is (luckily) positioned above the garage. Diagnosis involved me ripping down a few square feet of (damp) sheet rock and a few square feet of (soggy) insulation, after which the pros were called in to fix the problem. This weekend involves a trip to Home Depot to pick up a few square feet of sheet rock and insulation so I can eliminate the exposure to the coming winter temperatures I’ve created for the water pipes I exposed.

Other than that? Vet visits for both dogs and gaming on Saturday night.Report

7. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

Baseball playoffs begin this weekend. There is no better sport than playoff baseball, even if you don’t have a team to root for. I’m calling a Brewers – Astros World Series.

Lots of football officiating for me this weekend, which won’t be as much fun given how cool it’s turned here in Chicago.

Happy anniversary, Aaron. Condolences to you and yours, Jason.

Has the tagging feature in comments disappeared?Report

8. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I may just take Pearl, my brand-new Prius, out to the Coast for a shakedown cruise. And I may just bring along a friend. A lady friend….

Thanks to our very own @miss-mary for hooking me up with her referral to the best guy at the dealership.Report

9. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO says:

Writing this morning, going to the supermarket, cat chores, writing tomorrow morning, possibly putting together the astronomy club newsletter, going to Exit 117A to game, and finally completing that BoneQuest HiFi production.Report

10. Everything that could freeze outdoors has been closed off and drained — low temperature Sunday night may get down to single digits °F (-13 °C or so). Could get a few inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Michael Cain says:

I’m sitting in my basement with the windows open. I can’t believe that we’re going to have a couple of inches of snow this time tomorrow.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Jaybird says:

If the Denver Broncos had played this afternoon, it was 64 and sunny. Since they play tomorrow, they get 24 and snow flurries. As I mentioned in response to someone’s MLB playoffs comment, imagine playing a Saturday-Sunday pair of games under those two sets of conditions. Eventually, MLB will regret having a team in Denver.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Michael Cain says:

We got a few flakes in the uppermost Appalachians today (people rarely remember they are in NB and Quebec) but nothing serious. Weird that y’all are having so much more snow there when I’m so much norther… I made it almost to 49 degrees north today! Y’all are below 40….

(Not sure if I’m jealous or smug.)Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Maribou says:

Altitude and proximity to real mountains create strange effects. Most of the major metro areas in the American West have some peculiar features: Denver’s upslope cold fronts, Phoenix’s haboobs, the Santa Anna winds in Southern California, etc. I’m waiting for Burt’s write-up after his first encounter with Portland’s supercooled freezing rain.Report