Heading Seventeen Degrees Westerly Of True North From Herlong Junction

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering litigator. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Recovering Former Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Miss Mary says:

I wasn’t expecting you for another week. I put it on my calendar!Report

2. Avatar Chip Daniels says:

I thought I felt a tremor in the Force.
    I thought it was millions of voices crying out in terror, but glad to see I was wrong.

Godspeed, friend.Report

3. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

One more person I will need to visit in Portland.

Welcome to the PNW! I’ll be back next spring (if I don’t spontaneously combust in the AZ heat, first).Report

4. Avatar Maribou says:

Safest of safe travels to you, my friend, both literal and metaphorical.Report

5. My friend who relocated from Front Range Colorado to Portland most of 20 years ago would want me to remind you that the first year through the soon-to-arrive Gray Season is the worst one. I still remember the semi-suicidal e-mails from that October…Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

October! Sheesh, lightweight. Real men hold off until just after Christmas before they start thinking things like, “Is sunburn really that bad?”.

Also, if you don’t drink coffee or strong tea, start.

And always remember, if it starts getting bad, LA is a 2 hour flight away, and the tickets are generally pretty cheap.

Maui is 6 hours away, and you can usually find deals.Report

• He moved there from metro Denver, where people’s relationship with gray skies can be summed up as “After three days w/o sunshine everyone’s getting twitchy; after five days, the whole metro is ready to slit its collective wrists.” We are clearly a bunch of addicts.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

@michael-cain
          ““After three days w/o sunshine everyone’s getting twitchy; after five days, the whole metro is ready to slit its collective wrists.””

In the Springs it takes 4 days to get twitchy because we’re so excited that it might rain, but the collective wrist-slitting preparations happen on the 5th day regardless.

That one spring where the Springs hit record rainfalls since the 30s for three months in a row was like living on a hellmouth.Report

• Avatar jason says:

Yeah we get enough heat and sun in Pueblo that it takes record rain to get us upset (or at least me). We can appreciate the wet weather down here.

Congrats on the move (to Burt of course)–I’m a little jealous; I went to a conference in Portland in 2017 and loved it there.Report

6. Avatar Anne says:

Safe travels Burt, I wish you well on your new adventure and your quest to live your best life. I’m kinda jealous to be honest.Report

7. Avatar Aaron David says:

Ha! I was driving on US97 today! In Bend! Oregon!

From one displaced Californian to another, WELCOME!Report

8. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes!Report

9. Avatar LeeEsq says:

Remember when you wrote enthusiastically about commuting via Metrorail. You now can take the MAX Light Rail around Portland for even more public transit experiences.Report

10. I now have many reasons to visit Portland too. It’s a mini-Leaguefest waiting to happen.Report

11. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Woo hoo! SOOOO excited you are coming here!

As to the avocados: not that cheap, but passable if you are patient. Best way to ensure good avocados here is to buy in advance and hold on till they are ripe and then immediately refrigerate until you are ready to eat them.

Trade off is you will get to experience a lot of great fresh food here you can’t in California. Oregon strawberry season is, like, a week or two at best, but ooooh my goodness. Tomato, apple and pear seasons are also sublime and last for much, much longer.

Come to dinner this week once you get here! If you don’t have a car we’ll figure out transport!Report

12. Avatar Michelle says:

Best wishes Burt. Sorry to hear you’ve suffered so many losses recently. Sometimes, you really do need to change the scenery and shake things up. I hope Portland proves to be a home place for you. At least you already know quite a few people there, which will help ease the transition. Plus, despite the gray skies, the Pacific Northwest really is one of the most beautiful places on earth.Report