Morning Ed: Wildlife {2018.08.15.W}

Will Truman

Will Truman is the Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. He is also on Twitter.

1. Avatar Murali

W16: Pythons in the toilet are not newsworthy events. They’re not exactly normal but it happens.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon in reply to Murali

Right up there with rattlesnakes in the pool.Report

• Avatar Murali in reply to Oscar Gordon

Some years ago, the domestic helper at our house found a python in the toilet. When I was in the army we once saw a python (don’t know if it was the same one*) lying in one of the drains in my camp (seletar camp).

When I was in kindergarten, we used to rent one of the old british military quarters at seletar camp. Checking the bed for snakes and centipedes was a nightly or one every two-three nights thing.

*My place in Singapore is a five minute drive from my active unit (at seletar camp) back when I was in the army. So in all probability in might have been the same snake or at least a close relative.Report

2. Avatar atomickristin

W13 – for reasons no one knows, infection with toxoplasmosis also makes women more likely to have sons. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17028886Report

3. Avatar dragonfrog

Wl3 – I maintain the hantavirus and the lack of fear aren’t cause and effect – they’re both independently caused by living with cats.

Wl8 – no kidding he’s lucky to have been arrested! The bison at the national park near is have killed at least one tourist who didn’t respect their danger.Report

4. Avatar PD Shaw

[Wl1] “Should Trees Have Standing?” was an early 1970s law review article that got some fame from being cited in the footnote of a SCOTUS dissent. Ever since it has provided a perennial source of college theme papers, and I wrote one in Political Philosophy using Plato’s conception of the guardian as the basis. How to select and educate the guardians? May they breed? What music must they listen to?Report

5. Avatar LeeEsq

Toxoplasm Man sounds like a hero or villain that gets people sick by spitting on them. He could be in a relationship with Vermin Lady, whose power is to control vermin obviously. She will have a hot body and face covered in boils. I’m seeing R or X rated gritty versions of Captain Planet villains.Report