Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO says:

oh god, i hope when i visited you weren’t trying to be on your best behaviorReport

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Well, it’s easier to have to wear pants when it’s cold outside.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

(These houseguests – the one this weekend and the one who’ll be staying with us for a while – are strangers or near strangers to Jay. You know that’s quite different, right? Maybe in degree rather than kind, but a couple orders of magnitude of degree.)Report

• Avatar Profesor Esperanto says:

True. I have seen Jaybird in his underpants. The vision haunts me as Walt Whitman haunted Oscar Wilde.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

@professor-esperanto Believe it or not you are not the only person to feel that way, though the rest of them aren’t that eloquent about it.

(Personally I don’t see the problem, although I wouldn’t.)Report

2. fillyjonk fillyjonk says:

Last weekend was my big exciting weekend – went to visit a friend, went places I’d never been before. (And then Sunday, filled the pulpit at church – long story but: yes, it’s okay for a layperson to do that in my denomination)

This weekend is just going to be being quiet at home. Clean the place up a little bit, maybe do a little sewing, maybe do a little reading towards one of my fall classes (classes start in just over 2 weeks)Report

3. Avatar Aaron David says:

Well, this weekend was for TSPing the trim on my porch in preparation for painting. Or it should be, as I tweaked my back a little bit and am not feeling too keen on pushing my luck with that. But we are joining another couple at a cabin Mon-Wed coming up, so that should be nice.Report

4. Avatar Maribou says:

So we have this houseguest, and I wore out myself cleaning (not at all her fault, she is laidback, but I come from a hospitality culture and Obligations are Obligations) and then I didn’t sleep much and now I’ve had about 6 hours sleep in 2 days.

Which means I will have all the fun tonight and tomorrow, then sleep through Sunday for the most part.

Except for reading!! I am reading a book that won’t be out for years (by an established author) and it is SO GOOD in this early draft stage and I cannot wait until I can hawk it to everyone. I’m about a third of the way through already even though I only started reading it at 10 pm and the act of noting my feedback slows me down.

Monday I will mostly spend cleaning up more, because our next houseguest will be with us for a few weeks and the Holy Obligation of Cleaning for a new temporary housemate is more sizeable than that for a 3 day houseguest that you’ve known for a decade. (Kidding, but also not, y’know? I mean, I think I’m kidding intellectually but if you were to watch my behavior on Monday, that descriptor is what fits best…)Report

5. Avatar North says:

I am going tubing. I gather this involves sitting in a tube, on a river, and drinking cans of alcohol. It seems simple enough but I always associated tubing with laying on a tube being hauled behind a high speed boat and trying not to fall off so I was very confused when husband dragged me out to get drinks to have while on the tube.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog says:

Tubing on a pretty, lazy, slow moving river is a lovely way to spend an afternoon! Have fun!Report

• Avatar Kolohe says:

Make sure you wear sunscreen (it’s weirdly easy to forget).

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I thought that this was in response to…

You know what?

Never mind.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain says:

This. Not only is there sun overhead, but there’s bounce off the water. Long ago, when I was a graduate student in Texas, the Pedernales was a popular tubing run, where you had sun, the bounce off the water, and the bounce off all the limestone. Sunscreen wasn’t as much of a thing then — especially for dumb college students — and I never hit the Pedernales before July, when I’d had time to get good and dark first. Still got burned, but only enough to give the tan a nice “glow”. I suppose one of these days I’ll pay for all the shirtless-on-the-water time from my youth.Report

• Avatar North says:

Yeah I’m a maritimer so I know about how sun and water interacts. I’ll be sufficiently doused for sun.

• Avatar Kolohe says:

I’ve spent my share of time in the tropical sun, but seem to forget sometimes when I’m gearing out in the shade of an Appalachian/Allegheny forest.

6. Avatar Pinky says:

Well, after reading Andrew’s latest article, I know exactly what my weekend plans are. They involve swimming in a pyramid pile of p****.Report

7. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Flying to Zurich tomorrow (Saturday), so I arrive Sunday afternoon and can be at work on Monday.

I booked the flight on the SwissAir website where it had a SwissAir flight number. Imagine my delight when I learned it’s a codeshare operated by United.Report

• Avatar Jason says:

We had cheap seats to Paris last year through United, but it was a Canada Air flight to and a Lufthansa back–good flights. It was the reverse of your situation: United flight numbers operated by the other airlines.Report