Weekend!

Jaybird

1. fillyjonk fillyjonk

It’s going to be so fishing hot (seriously: high today of 109) that I think all I CAN do is stay in my house, with the blinds drawn, and pray the power doesn’t go out/my AC doesn’t croak.

People ask me why I don’t like summer. THIS is why I don’t like summer. The interstate south of me – where I would drive were I going to go have fun – is buckling in the heat.Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer in reply to Aaron David

We’re in the middle of re-structuring our work group, which is going to create a ton of new work for us that is more in-line with our core competencies. In the meantime, I also find myself trying to look busy a few times per week. So much easier when the boss’ boss is on vacation. He leaves for 2 weeks after today. Woot-woot!Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Mike Dwyer

“We’re in the middle of re-structuring our work group, which is going to create a ton of new work for us that is more in-line with our core competencies.”

Did you bubble it up to the 10K foot view and then let it trickle back down for greater synergy? (Sorry, the wife and I often use CorpSpeak to babble at each other. Whoever can do it longer wins.)Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer in reply to Aaron David

LOL. I have been put in charge of crafting the new mission statement. So far the input I have gotten talks a lot about ‘strategic partnerships’ and solution-driven projects’. I will say, it’s a good opportunity to re-focus our efforts. My group has become a catch-all for projects no one else wants to take on. While I enjoy the diversity, it’s not really what we do best and as a result we no longer have adequate time for the things were actually supposed to be doing.Report

2. Avatar Maribou

@jaybird I am not sure it is right, actually, I thought he was turning 17…. hmm….

Anyway, what Jaybird said with a side of “I overdid things having 2 14+ hours of being on the go this week and it’s hot (not fillyjonk’s awfulness of hot, thank goodness). That said, one of my meds makes me feel like it’s about 95 when it’s 75, so y’all can imagine what 95 feels like. Blech. I just want to lie down with ice packs, directly in front of the bedroom air conditioner, and stare at the ceiling until I feel cold again.Report

• fillyjonk fillyjonk in reply to Maribou

I’m on a med that increases my risk of getting heatstroke so summer is double plus ungood. I USED to be a field biologist.

Now my plan is to do research I can do in the fall, even if it means I’m essentially double-booking myself (teaching AND fieldwork) and am tired all the time from trying to do it all.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to fillyjonk

@fillyjonk Yeah, I’m actually purportedly supposed to Avoid All Direct Sun as well, for risk of heatstroke and allergic reactions, due to another med. (I swear, these meds are more help than they are side effects! Much more. But it’s still vexing.)

In the summer, I find myself mostly following that directive, though I’m terrible at it in spring and fall and end up wiping myself out and/or getting bizarre rashes due to my lack of following said directive. Because OUTSIDE. It sings to me.

Once the temp goes over 80 degrees though, I am the most meek, compliant, wilted patient they ever will see. Well, 95 percent of the time anyway. *looks sheepishly at bizarre rash on her left wrist from not shading herself adequately in the car the other day*

As a field biologist manque myself (well, really the people who were pushing the hardest to recruit me were the game wardens, but I had a secret yen for Malaysian rainforest work… this was back before I had any meds or a need for em… )…. I can imagine how deeply it must suck for you to be curtailed in that way 🙁 And doing field research WHILE teaching is the worst.

Many sympathies to you.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Maribou

17?!?

Goodness gracious.Report

3. Avatar dragonfrog

Mostly I think it will be festival decompression from the last weekend-for-the-family / week-for-me. It was a whole lot of work, a whole lot of fun, and I have a tan now (!)

Main task will be putting the house back together – before we left for the festival, fledermaus decided she was sick of a messy bedroom, so removed ALL the things from the bedroom to the living room. Things are now only allowed back in the bedroom after individual inspection and decision-to-keep. But the living room is about two feet deep in stuff across its entire surface.Report

4. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO

I’m glad I’m the proletariat, or maybe outer party.

I don’t get paid a lot, but the work is benign and the boss is a good guy. Everyone in the office are good people. We’re just expected to do our job without being hassled with “Why am I paying you” nonsense.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to PROFESSOR ESPERANTO

@professor-esperanto All of Jaybird’s coworkers and bossen are good people and he’s never been asked that by anyone who is actually his boss other than in jest (at this job, anyway). Sadly customers / co-contractors are not always so gracious.Report

5. Avatar LeeEsq

This weekend is one of the more obscure Jewish holy days, one that most Jews do not even celebrate, Tisha B’Av. In English this literally means the Ninth of Av. It is a fast day that observes the destruction of the First and Second Temples and many other calamities that befell the Jews. The traditional observance is too fast, sit on the floor while wearing sackcloth and ashes while reciting from the Book of Lamentations.Report

6. Avatar Damon

I’ll be in class of course, and then cleaning my office, putting away cameras, etc. post vacation.
    Might clean something too.Report