Priming

Jaybird

1. Avatar Em Carpenter

I listened to the Fah/Bah clip without watching and without the visual, I hear bah.
    I’m also team Laurel, and my hubs is Yanny. Funny to me, because he blares his music through his headphones or in his car and has been to a lot of really loud, hard metal concerts, yet I am the one with hearing damage. Go figure.Report

2. Avatar Doctor Jay

I think priming is definitely a thing. And I think there’s more than priming going on with Yanny and Laurel: https://www.vox.com/2018/5/16/17358774/yanny-laurel-explainedReport

3. Avatar Road Scholar

Team Yanny, inexplicably, since I’m an old guy with some hearing loss. Also, I could flip back and forth between Brainstorm and Green Needle at will, and it wasn’t really ambiguous either way. Weird.Report

• Avatar KenB in reply to Road Scholar

Exactly the same for me (including the bit about being old and with hearing loss).

I found I could also make the second one say “greenstorm” or “brain needle” if I wanted.Report

• Avatar Kolohe in reply to KenB

Same here. Whatever I thought of before the sound, was the sound I heard.

I’m still almost always a Laurel person unless the clip is extremely filtered to the right (highpass? lowpass?)

The bah/fah thing definitely changes based on what I am seeing (and bah’s up if I look away in the middle fah)Report

4. Avatar veronica d

The best part of this whole yanny/laurel thing is this Reductress piece: http://reductress.com/post/man-calls-girlfriend-yanny-during-sex-swears-he-said-laurel/Report

5. Avatar Michael Cain

On yanny/laurel, clearly laurel for me, except for the frequency up-shifted version, which was clearly yanny. There’s so much noise in the brainstorm/green needle thing that I can hear pretty much whatever I want. As I have gotten old, picking a voice out of lots of background noise — or more accurately, failing to pick a voice out of the background noise — is the thing I notice most.Report

6. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Priming is a huge part of the mentalist routine, and other various magic tricks.Report

7. Avatar Maribou

FWIW, I hear Laurel and Yanny both at the same time, clearly, and have since the first time I listened (granted I was already primed).

The relationship this double-hearing has to my ambiguity and heartbreak about Israel and Palestine is probably coincidental.

Honestly I’m not sure how anyone who isn’t directly involved feels anything other than 24/7 ambiguity and generalized heartbreak, though I have a stack of books to read in the next month or so to see if I can get any clearer about things.Report

8. Avatar James K

I actually hear “Yerry”, so I guess the priming didn’t work in my case.Report

9. Avatar dragonfrog

I have only ever heard Laurel. This is apparently consistent with my chronic case of old raver’s ears.Report