Wednesday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Anne

Happy birthday to Maribou! and boy that sounds yummyReport

2. Avatar dragonfrog

Happy birthday Maribou!

Good croissants really are the bestest thing. You know, along with loving family who prepare them for you just so, and all that wealth beyond the material…Report

3. Avatar Doctor Jay

Are there any good birthday songs? You are asking that? How can this even be a question? Should I answer a question with another question?

Happy Birthday To Ya!Report

4. Avatar Aaron David

Happy Birthday, Maribou!Report

5. Avatar Maribou

Thanks, all.Report

6. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but can we talk about eating in bed?Report

7. Avatar jason

I’ve long preferred the “cha cha cha” version of “Happy Birthday,” but YMMV.

and happy birthday!Report

8. Avatar Nevermoor

(shiny side up)

Sounds like a man who has experimented and found a foil difference. If so, what is it? I’ve been curious how much that matters for years.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Nevermoor

Jaybird’s playing his WWE game, but I repeated your comment to him because I’ve always been curious myself, and it turns out his answer is one I should’ve thought of:

If you’re going to pick the baked cheese off the foil so you can eat it, it comes off the shiny side easier.Report

• Avatar Nevermoor in reply to Maribou

…and now I have a reason to care which side I put up.Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer in reply to Maribou

I have always heard that the dull side allowed heat to sink through and the shiny side reflected it. So if you were wrapping a baked potato, for example, you want the dull side on the outside so the heat sinks through and the shiny side facing in so it will retain the heat.

Having actually consulted the web on the subject though, Reynolds says it doesn’t matter unless you are using the non-stick stuff, in which case you use the dull side.Report