Weekend!

Jaybird

1. fillyjonk fillyjonk

Ugh, yes. I think of this as The Weekend I Have To Start Driving To Work In The Dark Again. (I don’t mind driving home in the dark in winter nearly as much. That seems normal to me. But going from the sun coming up as I head in to work to it being the cold, black, middle-of-the-night just feels wrong.

(It’s even worse given most days I get up at 4:30 or 5 am to do a workout. Those first few days after the time change are exceptionally unpleasant).

Most of Saturday is going to be given over to the memorial service (and lunch-for-family, at which I will be serving) for the friend of mine who died suddenly two weeks ago. So all around this is not a happy weekend for me, though I hope coming out the other side I will at least have some closure.

Sudden unexpected deaths are the worst: you have to recalibrate your life to be without that person in it, whereas with someone you are “expecting” to die some time (e.g., someone who has a terminal illness), you can kind of make room for that thought in your head slowly.

This afternoon I have to bake cookies and brownies for the lunch. This is a church-lady thing. I don’t mind doing it, I just wish I were doing it for a “happy” reception (like: someone who has wanted to have a baby for a long time is having a baby shower because she’s finally pregnant) instead.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to fillyjonk

Yeah, there’s a formula for exacerbating circumstances for deaths that make them a lot worse and “unexpected” is right there.

Most deaths suck but there are degrees and, dude. I’m sorry that this is happening.

Good luck.Report

• fillyjonk fillyjonk in reply to Jaybird

Thanks. It’s been a long time since I dreaded doing something this much but I’m kind of dreading the whole round of serving lunch to the family/memorial service/reception for friends and family afterwards.

I’m doing it because I said I would and because I feel like it’s important to me to get closure, but WOW do I wish I were not doing it.Report

2. Avatar dragonfrog

We’ll be replacing the tub and surround at the rental house. I’ve never done this, so I’m feeling grossly unprepared and apprehensive that we won’t be able to finish the job in the time we’ve allotted ourselves, and our tenants will end up with a construction site in their bathroom for a week.Report

3. Avatar Aaron David

I am currently girding my self for a visit to the Canadian border, the small town of Blaine. Work trips are so much fun.

Not.Report

4. Avatar Jason

Probably playing xwing for the first time in months and doing some prep for my conference next week: laundry, partially packing, maybe some map scouting, and I still need to download uber on my phone.Report

5. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO

This LCD television isn’t a smart tv? Who needs BluRay when there’s Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime?

Wife ran away to Virginia. I’m cleaning up cat puke, scooping litter boxes, writing, then scanning/labelling/uploading receipts for my business partner.Report

6. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO

Also probably going into Island Beach State Park in hopes of spotting the snowy owl popping up on my rare bird alerts for months.Report

7. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO

also practice my eponymous language and review the duolingo lessonsReport