Saturday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar James K

I completed my first game of Stellaris – I was using my “optimistic human future” build – Materialist, Egalitarian and Xenophile (Basically, pro science, pro democracy and pro sapient rights). Unfortunately the galaxy was loaded up with slavers so peaceful coexistence didn’t work out too well.

This time, I’m playing Driven Assimilators – an intelligent machine that overthrew it creators, integrated them into its network and is now trying to do the same to the other organic species in the galaxy.Report

• Avatar Doctor Jay in reply to James K

I like Stellaris. I’ve played it a lot. Weirdly, I’ve never finished a game. I get to a point where I start wondering, “what the heck should I do now?” and just sort of stop playing.Report

• Avatar James K in reply to Doctor Jay

@doctor-jay

The victory conditions are a little too basic for my tastes. Most paradox games don’t even have victory conditions, so this is new ground for them.

The lead designer has mentioned the idea of having a system where you choose an ambition for your empire and achieve victory by meeting that ambition. Hopefully that’s something we’ll see in a future patch.Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to James K

I’ve started game three since the new patch, feeling out the new mechanics for expanding your space.

This last one foundered on “Oh crap, I built too many robots” — didn’t realize how much I was spending on robots.

I’m trying the Assimilators now. I get to make aliens into Cyborgs, right? 🙂Report

• Avatar James in reply to Morat20

@morat20

You sure do, I’m just building the colossus that assimilates whole planets at once, so I’m looking forward to trying that out.Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to James

I’m currently having to gear up my ships to fight off (non civilization) aliens. not invading ones, just ones that have locked down my expansion paths.

Although I have a pretty solid set of planets behind some tooled up starbases, but my fleet size is way too low.

I wish I could assimilate primitive civilizations. Maybe I don’t have the tech for it..Report

• Avatar North in reply to James K

How does Stellaris compare to Civ? Reading you commenting on it makes me wonder if I wouldn’t like it as I love turn based god view kind of wide spanning games.Report

2. Avatar Doctor Jay

That sounds pretty cool, really. I’ll have to check it out.

I’m playing a lot of Railway Empire these days. I finished the campaign, and I’m working through free play in all regions and all eras. Trying to get all goals, of course.Report

3. Avatar Pinky

Today, I’m playing everything – poorly. This time of year, the sun hits my computer screen midday. That’s not a problem Monday through Friday, and most early afternoons on the weekends I can step outside my apartment without blowing away, but not today. So I’ve been at the computer shooting more friends than enemies. My marksmanship should return in an hour or so.Report