Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar aaron david

When I got to the Philidelphia airport at around 7 am Friday morn, it was packed with Bird Brains (Eagles fans, I just made that up though…) All going to Minneapolis for the even greater cold.

I will probably have the game on, but I am just looking for good football. I am trying to get caught up with house projects, so rewiring the doorbell, hanging art, maybe mowing if the sun comes out, that sort of thing.

Did pick up an interesting book the other day, The Silk Roads, an attempt to reframe world history in a less Eurocentric model, moving to a central Asian framework. Not bad so far.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to aaron david

I read that one too. I think the author’s kind of a nut on the subject (wait till the last chapter about modernity), but he has a lot of interesting ideas.

I don’t know nearly enough linguistics to know if his take on the development of Indo-European languages makes sense or not.Report

2. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO

KARA JAYBIRD,

MI ?ATAS SPEKTAS KVIN A? KVAR HORON SPEKTAKLOJN KUN DUKVIN-DUKVAR SEKUNDOJ DA AGADO! MI AMAS ANONCISTINOJN ONANAS PRI TAKTIKOJN SEKVIS DUKVIN MINUTOJN DA KOMERCISTOJ!

KIUN NEZAS SPORTOJ????

AMO,

PROFESORO ESPERANTOReport

3. Avatar Kazzy

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

Sadly, I think the Pats win… close first half with the D-line harassing Brady and Pederson putting Foles in the right spots to maintain drives. Second half adjustments favor the Pats and when plays are needed, Brady makes a few mpre than the Eagles can muster.

BUT… if Cox, Jenkins, and the Eagles D can put up a banner day with 2+ turnovers and/or a score, I think they take it.Report

4. Avatar pillsy

As a proud son of Boston, I will be rooting for the indisputably lovable, scrappy underdogs, a team I like to think represents not only my ancestral home, but all of America: the New England Patriots.Report

5. Avatar Saul Degraw

I declined to take part in the office pool because I know nothing about football. Weather is nice in SF, might go for a walk and hang out in the park.

Sports continue to confound me. I saw this meme/joke on the net about a guy who had tickets to the Superbowl but didn’t realize it conflicted with his wedding date. He asked if anyone wanted to take his place. The joke being that take his place meant as the groom at the wedding.

I don’t understand why that is supposed to be funny.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Saul Degraw

I prefer pro wrestling, myself. At least you get a narrative.

But it’s a large cultural event and being conversant in large cultural events provides social lubricant for a lot of subcultures. For example, I know that my office will be talking about the WrestleMania of Football tomorrow and I will, at least, want to google the score throughout the game to be able to make jokes with them.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Saul Degraw

You don’t understand that things are important to people?

Or why this particular thing is important to that particular person?

Do you think that lack of understanding is more about you or more about that person?

(Also, the whole point of those pools is they don’t require any knowledge of football and allow such people to feel a little invested in something that may otherwise be meaningless to them.)Report

6. Avatar Pinky

Jaybird, I want to know everything about the Avocado People. They can’t possibly be what I’m picturing.Report

7. Avatar Jaybird

Huh.

Didn’t see that particular finish coming.

Good for them.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Jaybird

The Patriots never put Super Bowls away. Other than last year, when they scored the TD in overtime, they’d never won one by more than 4. So when something goes wring with their last come-from-behind drive, they lose.

The 49ers? 5 victories, 3 by blowouts.Report

8. Avatar Damon

I enjoyed the tacos and margaritas more than the game.
    I enjoyed fooling around with the girlfriend on the sofa more than the food.
    I went home at half time and played half life.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Damon

Is it a East/West of the Mississippi thing? Say what you will about the Patriots vs. the Falcons, but that felt interesting in a way that this year’s game didn’t.Report

• Avatar Damon in reply to Jaybird

What I saw of the game was decent. The games usually bore me and this had some good entertainment, but I just don’t really care about watching sports on tv.

Oddly, I find professional golf interesting and the “lumberjack” competitions interesting too.Report

9. Avatar North

Ugh, the purple idiots extorted all that dough out of us for a new stadium and then didn’t manage to make it to the final game and traffic has been awful. The entirety of football can get off my lawn.Report