Mutual Respect

Chris Morgan

Chris R. Morgan is a writer from New Jersey. His blog is Black Ribbon Award and his Twitter handle is @CR_Morgan.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

I enjoyed the story, but I’m left with the feeling that there is context I am missing regarding the characters.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

I join @oscar-gordon’s comments.

I very much respect the “show, don’t tell” method of storytelling but the full explanation doesn’t seem to be shown here.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

@burt-likko @oscar-gordon Speaking personally I assumed that was part of the point. “I don’t fully get this but it does interesting things to my brain” appears to be a sub-genre of short story, from my woefully uneducated in the literary short story perspective. I can tell that I like it at this length but not when it becomes a novelette (or a novella … oy the headaches such a novella can cause me), but I don’t know much more about said sub-genre than that :D. (It’s *not* slipstream, this sub-genre I can’t name, but seems to live somewhere in that neighborhood…)Report

• Avatar North says:

I initially had a feeling that the protagonist was afflicted with some degenerative mental disorder like creeping dementia or Alzheimer’s but then remembered the narrative went out of its way to establish that the protagonist is in no way named Chad.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

Or the Old Man is fully succumb to mental degeneration and has so forgotten who he is that he assumes the identity of the author because the book is familiar.Report

• Avatar North says:

Oh snap! That could be it! That’s the cannon in my head now.Report

• Avatar Pinky says:

Oscar’s speculation seems possible. After all, to your point, the narrative only establishes that the old man doesn’t initially think that he’s Chad. But if the story tells of his realization that he is Chad, it seems odd to me that realization comes by way of his complete rejection of mutual respect.Report

• Avatar Vikram Bath says:

Oscar Gordon: so forgotten who he is that he assumes the identity of the author because the book is familiar.

That is brilliant. It’s my head canon too nowReport

2. Avatar Morat20 says:

The name “Chad” had me looking for incel references.Report

3. It’s also reminiscent of the most recent episode of Better Call Saul, but I suspect that’s a coincidence.Report