Saturday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Pinky

Installing Medieval II: Total War and three other games today. Paid a little under $12. I hate spending this much on luxuries.Report

2. Avatar Morat20

I picked up Transistor, Stellaris, and War for the Overlord. Oh, and Stardew Valley.Report

• Avatar Pinky in reply to Morat20

Stellaris sounds interesting. That’s the one I’m most likely to kick myself for not buying on sale. I keep hearing it’s like Sid Meier’s Civ set in space, and it’s the first Paradox game that anyone can comprehend. Both comments are intended as compliments, but they seem a little backhanded.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Morat20

Stardew Valley is the ultimate game for those who enjoy sorting m&ms. There is *SO* much to do while, at the same time, it’s very low-key and Zen.Report

• Avatar James K in reply to Morat20

@morat20

There’s a lot to like about Stellaris, it has a lot of systems that deliver classic space opera moments. That said, it still feels somewhat incomplete – every war ends in a single decisive battle, trade and diplomacy are very bare bones and the victory conditions barely exist at all.

Also, the next patch is going to be a big one – so it’ll be interesting to see what that does for the game.Report

3. Avatar Morat20

In general, I find them….very complex, with minimalist tutorials and about two to three times as much complexity as I can handle.

I can grow to handle that level of complexity, but tossing me into it on “Easy” without an expansive tutorial that goes into details about the complex interactions?

Honestly, I figure if I can ever get Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis figured out, it’ll probably translate to all their other games. That first hump is killer, and I spent years playing EVE.Report

• Avatar Pinky in reply to Morat20

I’ve heard similar things. Stellaris is supposed to be their easiest game to get started in, and the way of thinking translates between Paradox games. I just think about the amount of effort it takes to figure some games out, and I’m not positive I want to go down that road.Report