Wednesday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Pinky says:

I once saw a chart of the membership of, I think it was Jefferson Airplane / Starship initially, but the chart ended up documenting about 20 bands’ overlaps. I think The Grateful Dead and CSNY got sucked into it too. I wish I could find it. I once saw something like that for Blind Faith / Cream. I’m wondering if it might have the same one.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

If they touched the Doobie Brothers/Steely Dan at one point, they have approximately 30% of everyone over the age of 50 in the United States.Report

• Avatar Pinky says:

Nobody’s got a better resume than “Skunk” Baxter, who jammed with Hendrix, Clapton, The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Northrop Grumman, NASA, and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.Report

2. Avatar Damon says:

Before I closed down Pandora, I was listening to Chinese Giquin music.Report

3. Avatar aaron david says:

Free Your Mind is good, damn good, but Maggot Brain… That is the stuff! (The story goes that Clinton told Eddie Hazel to “play like your mother just dies, then play like you just found out she lived.)

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Absolutely amazing. I look back at most of the so-called “classic” rock that got played on the radio in the late 80’s and this stuff could kick the behind of somewhere between 95% and 98% of it.Report

• Avatar aaron david says:

Absolutley.

Also, to your original question, this is what I am listening to (and others of the retro-70’s variety such as the Menahan St. Band, Budos Band, Sound Defects, etc.):

4. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

Two newish platters gracing my turntable of late:

Son Volt’s Notes of Blue and New Model Army’s Winter.

Son Volt

New Model ArmyReport

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

New Model Army is the best name ever for a British band. Bands from Britain that didn’t call yourselves New Model Army: what the hell were you thinking?Report