Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Roadhouse… nobody skips Roadhouse.Report

2. Avatar LeeEsq

The all star British-Franco-American production of the Three Musketeers from the 1970s with Michael York, Charleston Heston, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Christopher Lee, and many others.Report

3. Avatar Slade the Leveller

I’m going to go with War Games.Report

4. Avatar Aaron David

The Thing

Or Big Trouble in Little ChinaReport

5. Avatar Jaybird

I’ll show up around Noonish to say what the movie was.Report

6. Avatar Kolohe

Deep Throat?Report

7. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Saw Cars 3 Friday night, much better offering than Cars 2. Going to see Captain Underpants today.

Saw Wonder Woman last weekend (and it was excellent).Report

• Avatar Miss Mary in reply to Oscar Gordon

I was wondering about Cars 3. Maybe I’ll take Junior to the movies for Father’s Day. Although, he tends to like the exact opposite of what I want so we’ll probably end up watching Captain Underpants.

Any movie I’ve never seen before would get me to stay, except children’s movies. Grandma’s Boy always makes me laugh no matter how many times I watch it.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon in reply to Oscar Gordon

So Cars 3 – Good message for the kids, good message for adults, and Pixar’s attention to detail is just nothing short of mind blowing.

Captain Underpants is all potty humor, all the time. Kids will love it (if they are still digging potty humor), and adults are not without content, although it is more subtle (well, subtle to a 5 year old, you’d have to be asleep to miss them as an adult).

Anyway, movie budget is blown for the month.Report

8. Avatar Saul Degraw

When I was studying for the Bar, a friend from lawschool decided to host a movie night as a study break? I brought the old Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. We ended up watching a Ryan Reynolds romcom but everyone vindicated me by suggesting Robin Hood might have been a better choice.

A classmate who wasn’t there said “But that’s a great movie” when I told her my choice was Robin Hood.

Listen to the film snobs people.Report

9. Avatar Michael Cain

My son’s girlfriend is a climatologist at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research). He tells me that at least once a year, some group of the climatologists there get together to watch one of the Sharknado movies for fun.Report

10. Avatar George Turner

Kent Dorfman, “Flounder,” died yesterday.

I told my housemate, who is a retired lawyer. He took in the news and asked “Do you know what this means?”

I replied “No.”

And he started chanting “Road trip! Road trip! Road trip!”

I told him that I was still too torn up about the death of Fawn Liebowitz, who was killed in a kiln explosion at Emily Dickinson college.Report

11. Avatar Will H.

I was going to go with North by Northwest, though, personally, I would stay for Bullitt.Report

12. Avatar Lyle

If children are include in the invitation obviously a Disney cartoon classic is in order, say Lady and the Tramp, or 101 Dalmations. If adults you probably could not go wrong with Gone with the Wind.Report

13. Avatar Jaybird

I confess, the real reason I asked people to make guesses as to what movie it was going to be was because I wanted ideas for the perfect movie night.

My original suggestion to him was “Raiders of the Lost Ark” as a movie that pretty much everybody would love.

But, from all the suggestions above? I’m thinking Roadhouse might be a winner for the next movie night. Though Big Trouble in Little China is another very strong suggestion.

I’ll probably bring up Gymkata again though.

14. Avatar Kimmi

The Usual Suspects.

Although I’d probably suggest Paprika if you let me.

The key to a good movie night movie is that it is both “rewatchable” and going to get enough people watching who haven’t already seen it…

The Good,The Bad, and The Weird fits. As does Love is Zero.Report

15. Avatar Pinky

I’m thinking A Knight’s Tale, but is it too soon? I suspect that seeing it with a group of people, someone would turn melancholy and it’d affect the whole room.Report

• Avatar Kolohe in reply to Pinky

I don’t think so. The Joker character is very much associated with his death in the popular imagination, but that character was such a departure from his Knights Tale / 10 Things phase that I believe most people will associate those performances subconsciously as if it were another actor.Report

16. Avatar dragonfrog

There is not a movie on earth that would cause me to go to a co-worker movie night on a weekend.

I am on good terms with my co-workers when I am at the office with them. I will go out for lunch with them at most twice a month. When I leave the office, the factory whistle has blown, and I am not at the office.Report