Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I’m reading Coyote America: A Natural and Supernatural History by Dan Flores. Fascinating stuff about an animal that is near and dear to my heart.

Also watching Season 2 of The Last Kingdom on Netflix. If you like viking stuff and don’t let the historical inaccuracies bother you, it’s a great show.Report

2. Avatar George Turner

I watched season 3 of 12 Monkeys, which was aired over just three days. It showcased incredible writing and acting.Report

3. Avatar Will H.

There’s a b&w disc of Nosferatu with music behind it that I keep trying to watch, but get interrupted every time.

It’s similar to the concept of “Heat,” only irritatingly different.Report

4. Avatar Oscar Gordon

I was hosting my sons 5th birthday party (24 kids). At the end, all the kids were exhausted, as were most of the adults, which means we all slept wonderfully hard last night.Report

5. Avatar DensityDuck

I did like The Rundown, too, because it seemed like it was happy about having a main character who was smart but not “clever”–like, yeah he’s good at this, but he doesn’t need to rub it in your face being all quippy and cute and written-by-Joss-Whedon.

I can understand why it didn’t take off, though. Walken is being Walken, and Sean William Scott is being whatever he is, and while both are amusing they stop the movie dead when they’re on screen.

I think that, really, the movie was an experiment more than anything else; it was about whether Johnson could carry a movie, and the answer was “yeah, pretty much, if it’s the right kind of role in the right kind of movie”. Think of it as a full-scale dress rehearsal for the rest of his career.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to DensityDuck

Walken stopped the movie dead? Dude! The Tooth Fairy speech!Report

• Avatar DensityDuck in reply to Jaybird

Yes, that’s it exactly. Like…okay I get that when you have Christopher Walken in your movie it’s for a reason and that reason is to do things like the Tooth Fairy speech. But it also goes on, and the reaction of your average dude who’s there to watch The Rock do the People’s Elbow in a movie is much the same as the thugs in that scene.Report