Breaking Down the Father on BBC Being Interrupted by His Children

Will Truman

Will Truman is the Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. He is also on Twitter.

1. Avatar Christopher Carr

Does this mean we’re over Trump being President?Report

2. Avatar LeeEsq

This was a lot of analysis for a TV bit.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to LeeEsq

I saw a million think pieces and then think pieces on think pieces and think pieces on think pieces on think pieces and all I could think was, “We don’t have nearly enough information to draw any sorts of conclusions about any of the people in the video.” And somehow this seemed to be an extreme minority position.Report

3. Avatar Damon

The baby coming in was hilarious. Best part of the clip. He’s like a little dalek coming in. “Destroy cam-era. Destroy!”

I literally LOLed.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to Damon

All three entrances were amazing, but I’m with you that the baby’s was the best.Report

• fillyjonk fillyjonk in reply to dragonfrog

I dunno, I kinda like the older child (Daughter? I presume) – she’s walking in there like she’s walking into a club, going “What up?”

I dunno. I just find the video funny. Yes, I’m sure it was frustrating for the parents to have dad’s presentation interrupted, but no one died, nothing bad happened. So it was just funny.Report

4. Avatar Michael Cain

…often you are looking into the camera and seeing nothing on your own screen. It’s really disorienting and honestly one of the reasons I don’t like doing these kinds of TV hits.

I have never seen this type of application that didn’t include a local video window, at least as an option. Heck, the prototype software that I wrote almost a quarter-century ago — sounds more impressive than 24 years — provided a local video window despite the painful computational cost* because they’re unusable without that feature.

* When all of the video decoding is being done in software on a 50 MHz 486 processor, an extra window is painful. As opposed to today: sitting here on my desk is a Raspberry Pi Zero, with a 1 GHz processor and built-in GPU that does all the video stuff, and cost me $5. The HDMI cable to connect the thing to a monitor costs more than all of that processing power.Report

5. Avatar Burt Likko

Apparently the to-do was people assumed the woman who came in to fetch the children was the nanny, not the wife. Follow up with usual accusations of bias at various levels of consciousness and counter-accusations about who the REAL racists are.Report

6. Avatar Roland Dodds

God, I pray nothing I ever do goes viral and analyzed to death to find the “real” meaning embedded in it.Report

7. Avatar Mike Schilling

I analyzed as a comedy bit (which is wasn’t planned as, of course) in a Twitter conversation with Brother Scotto:

The key is how it builds. Swaggering toddler is hilarious, but then it’s topped by baby cruising around in walker. The next logical step is poodle walking in on its hind legs, but that’s too silly to fit the narrative. The other way to go is sit the girls on his lap and include them. “Do we like Kim Jong-un, Susie?” “No, he’s a big meanie!”Report