Saturday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Oscar Gordan

Who doesn’t like Chemistry?Report

2. Avatar Doctor Jay

Your description of “Oxygen Not Included” reminds me of a game I played called “Spacebase DF-9”, which is a little bit like Dwarf Fortress in space. You can get things like hull breaches and asphyxiation and so on.

But what I’m playing right now is Endless Legend, which is a 4X game, based on a mythical other planet in Iceberg’s fictional galaxy. But the game elements seem more fantasy than sci-fi. There are a lot of fresh takes on some of the elements of 4X, and there are heroes.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Doctor Jay

ARGH SPACEBASE DF-9!!!!! THE UNFINISHED TIM SCHAEFFER GAME THAT RESULTED IN STEAM CHANGING ITS EARLY ACCESS POLICIES!!!!!!!!!!

I do not trust Double Fine anymore because of stuff like Spacebase DF-9.

I trust Klei.Report

• Avatar Doctor Jay in reply to Jaybird

I guess I missed the controversy. That game has the distinction of inspiring me to wake up in the middle of the night with a yell, because I thought that there was a boarding party coming through the floor.Report

• Avatar El Muneco in reply to Doctor Jay

Also like parts of FTL, the only spaceship game I’ve played where “vent the atmosphere from that section to suffocate the boarding party” and “we can’t put out the fire, but send Scotty in anyway and hope he fixes the engine before he dies” are actual things that happen.Report

3. Avatar Will H.

I found the old Curse of the Azure Bonds box the other day, and thought I’d load it to see how it plays on my three-legged laptop.
    I remember loading it on Something-Something, and the playability was fine, but the combat sequence was faster than one of those Benny Hill sketches where he doesn’t talk.
    Only a few things I ever need my floppy drive for, and I tend to lose it in between those times.
    Maybe if I pretend to give up looking for it, it will come out of hiding.Report

4. Avatar James K

Factorio is a similar game, though not so much focused on survival as build huge factories that make the parts to make the parts to make the parts to make a rocket.Report

5. Avatar Oscar Gordan

Right now I am playing Starpoint Gemini 2, which is space sim with privateering. It’s fun, but it suffers from a common flaw of such games, in that the universe is just too small (planets too close together, not in actual orbits, junk or asteroid fields are crowded beyond belief, systems are lousy with habitats & planets are just like the habitats when it comes to interaction, pirates are so common it’s amazing any commerce through space even happens, and pirates are some how able to find you in deep space far from any trade lanes, etc.). And we haven’t even talked about the physics of space flight or combat.

I miss Independence War 1 & 2. Although I guess the X series games do a better job of size & physics.Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

Those of you who trust Obsidian but forgot to buy Tyranny for whatever reason, Steam has it for 20% off this weekend.Report

7. Avatar Fish

I’ve been playing heaps of Darkest Dungeon. I think I finally figured the game out and I’ve got a double-handful of 3rd- and fourth-level heroes and I’ve finally learned my lesson about when to push and when to cut and run. Still too chicken to make a run at the Darkest Dungeon itself, though.Report