Saturday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Stillwater

I’m playing a game called “Kitchen Remodel”. At the beginning of the game you’re allocated a limited amount of cash and you have to determine the best possible kitchen within that budget. Exciting!

We opted for a farmhouse sink, concrete countertops and new backsplash all around. To stay within budget I chose the “build yourself” option for the countertops so today I’ll be finishing up the forms and pouring the crete.Report

2. Avatar Stillwater

BTW, has anyone else been paying attention to the “Russell Saunders wins $100,000 from Robert DeNiro” game? Fascinating. And via an essay printed in WaPo. The dude’s winning even if Bob doesn’t pay up. (Add: this may not be the best venue to praise Daniel Summers success as a writer given the content of his pieces, but it’s still pretty damn impressive.)Report

3. Avatar El Muneco

Powered by Lincoln City’s win over Burnley in the FA Cup 5th round – only nine teams outside the league had even made it to the 5th round in the 145 years (the last to actually win in this round was during the war – no not that one, the First one, in 1914) in which it has been contested – I’ve dusted off Championship Manager 97/98 (CM 01/02 is freely distributed, but you need to be able to make mounting a virtual CD work, which I can’t). I’m not sure where this ranks on the list of greatest upsets of all time – USA Olympic hockey vs. CCCP, USA World Cup 1950 vs. England, Super Bowl III… But, damn.Report

• Avatar Fish in reply to El Muneco

Hang on to that…the way Arsenal are playing right now Sutton United may have you rewriting that comment tomorrow. And I am seriously conflicted right now. I’m not a “Wenger out ” guy–I think the man should be allowed to choose when he leaves–but I would love to see some new ideas and new energy injected into the club and…well…a loss to a fifth-tier club would almost certainly help him make his mind up, wouldn’t it?Report

• Avatar El Muneco in reply to Fish

On the down side, the reason the old joke with the punchline “The bull, Senor, he does not always lose…” is a joke is because the better side actually can sleepwalk over the lesser side 99 and 44/100 percent of the time.

On the bright side, Lincoln City in the next round, and one more chance to get Wenger out!

Mind you, my team is spiraling the drain on its way to the Conference, so the whole “Losing in the FA Cup round of 16 gets the manager out” thing is alien to me.Report

4. Avatar El Muneco

Also, my oldest surviving friend and I played Shadow Warrior 2 multiplayer for a couple hours, and I can definitively say that even the “campaign” should be played co-op, since that was how the game seems to actually have been designed. A lot of the frustrations in single player just fall away in co-op. Mind you, I still consider it distinctly inferior to its predecessor, in large part because of the design decisions that made it so multiplayer-friendly.

Of course, my experience might not be typical – my friend and I have been playing first-person and third-person games co-op since the original Hexen(*), so we just might take to co-op better.

(*) Because we were lagging so badly when I was running my first computer as a Hexen server, I upgraded from 4MB memory to 8MB memory for over $80 in at-the-time dollars. And we still had almost unbeatable lag in one of the more memorable boss fights.Report