Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Maribou

Sami ZAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYN. I would be so happy if he won. I have nothing but doubts that he will.Report

2. Avatar Kazzy

“Moana” might be the best kids movie ever. Not sure I can put my thoughts why into a coherent post but maybe I can rant later.Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Kazzy

@kazzy is it a better kids movie, or a better adult movie that kids will like also? Its been so long since I saw a kids movie with a kid, I don’t know anymore and can only look at them through an adults eyes.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Aaron David

Perhaps this is better framing: it is one of the best stories I’ve ever seen done in a medium for children. All the characters are deep and developed, a mixture of strengths and flaws (and sometimes strengths as flaws). Even the “baddie” isn’t really. It’s true storytelling with nuance.

It isn’t perfect. Dragged a bit in the middle. It’s definitely not a “kids movie for adults”. A few subtle grown up jokes but nothing like the Shrek trilogy.

Add in stunning visuals and quality music (largely in the hands of Lin Manuel Miranda) and you have a real treat.

Then you can layer on top that all the on-screen characters are non-white and a trio of strong, female characters including a heroine who succeeds because of compassion more than anything… it’s really special.

I liked it when I saw it. But it grew on me as I reflected more on it, in part because of repeated readings of the picture book and listening to the soundtrack with Mayo.

You essentially have every character dealing with their past and trying to map their future.

Oh! And a totally badass Fury Road scene!Report

3. Avatar Aaron David

Watching The Path on the Hulu, which is pretty good. Aaron Paul and Hugh Dancy are both very good. Reading Deceits of Time. by Isabel Colegate. About the unknowingness of other peoples lives.Report

4. Avatar Jesse Ewiak

OTOH, @jaybird, I think Roman Reigns is severely underrated by the vast majority of Internet fans because he dared not spend umpteen years on the indies and is already a pretty great worker despite not doing enough MOVEZ and I’ll happily watch him beat a guy like Owens, who’s been booked like a midcard comedy geek since he won the title.

As for the rest of the card, there are various Meltzer spoilers out there, so all I’ll say is that I hope some of the matches change, because it’ll be a waste of several guys.Report

5. Avatar Kolohe

Finally saw Rogue One, now I can read parts of the internet I’ve had to avoid (including a daily linkage here)Report

6. Avatar LeeEsq

I’m happy that Ripper Street Season 4 is on Netflix. Right now, I’m watching Versailles. Its a French/British drama on Louis XIV. Its an interesting example of historical drama done right. Louis XIV is the protagonist and somewhat sympathetic but the series doesn’t give him modern sensibilities. Louis XIV is an absolute monarch and acts like it.Report

7. Avatar Mike Schilling

I’m watching this Yale course on medieval history. It’s fascinating (and free).Report

8. Avatar Troublesome Frog

Yesterday was a big family Tet celebration and then staying up until 4:30 local time to watch the five-set Australian Open final match between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. I’d argue that it was one of the most important matches in men’s tennis history, and it lived up to the hype. We were on our feet by the end of it.

So today is a drinking coffee and cleaning the house day.Report

9. Avatar Reformed Republican

For this one, I have no clue. I’m just looking forward to it. Which means that they’ll probably have Orton win it.

I really did not expect that one. I just hope they having something better planned than Cena vs Orton for the 100th time at Wrestlemania.

Overall, it was an entertaining show, but I would not consider it particularly memorable. Also, I missed the match that I was looking for most of all, which was Styles vs Cena.Report