Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Saul Degraw

I’m in Singapore until the 26th and jet lag is keeping me wide awake. I arrived on December 16th and slept from 3 AM to 7:30 AM and then from 2 PM to 6 PM. Should try and get some rest soon.

Probably doing the Botanical Gardens on Sunday.Report

2. Avatar LeeEsq

Last weekend was busy, so I’m going to take it low and just do some last minute Holiday shopping.Report

3. Avatar Miss Mary

Portland has stopped due to two inches of snow. Wednesday evening lasted forever. Kids weren’t getting home from school on buses until 7:00 or 8:00 pm. Adults commuting home took anywhere from two to five hours to complete the drive, and that was if you weren’t involved in one of the five car pile ups or completely closed interstates or highways. No one went anywhere or did anything on Thursday as a results of Wednesday’s nightmare traffic. Everyone is venturing out again today, but this city does not handle snow well. And we are expecting more tomorrow! All school activities were canceled for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so Junior is missing out on wrestling practice and a tournament. I was going to complete holiday shopping and gift wrapping this weekend, but now I’m just figuring out how to get gas and milk before people freak out and make it impossible to drive again.Report

• Avatar LeeEsq in reply to Miss Mary

A few years ago I had to fly to Portland to do a case in the Portland immigration court. There was what would be mild rain by New York standards on the day of the hearing, not nice to be outside but not something that would interfere with your daily activities either. During the middle of cross examination, the clerk of the Court came in and told the IJ that the building was shutting down because of the inclement weather that really seemed to be nothing to this New Yorker. It wasn’t a pleasant day but it wasn’t anything close to shut everything down.

Westerners always liked to portray themselves as tougher and rougher than Easterners but they seem to freak out about what would be not that bad weather by Eastern standards more.Report

4. Avatar Mike Dwyer

We have an interesting even to attend on Sunday…

After at least 20 years of public bickering, Kentucky and Indiana agreed to build 2 bridges over the Ohio River to augment the transit options in the Louisville area. The Downtown Crossing opened last December to great fanfare. Thousands upon thousands marched across it to celebrate and it was a pretty cool event…and we were in North Carolina that weekend.

So, I promised the wife we would attend the opening of the Eat End Crossing this weekend. So we’re one of 500 cars that will be in the opening caravan (they aren’t allowing walkers on this bridge). It should be cool. I’m going to rig up video on the dashboard for the obligatory social media stuff. And we all get cool medallions for participating.

And that is enough for me for the weekend.Report

5. Avatar Morat20

I’ve got an “adult board game night” (which means no kids, for anyone dirty minded out there) tomorrow which sounds fun.

I think everyone is bringing games for 4 to 8 people (there will be 7 to 8 there) so we have a choice between large games, multiple small games, etc and people can basically try games out.

I’m bringing Love Letter, Bang! and Masquerade. Sadly my copy of Werewolf hasn’t come in yet. (Also, there is a game called “Secret Hitler” that I am now dying to own.)Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

Yay! I just found out that the thing we’re doing at 10AM on Monday morning is not stuff that needs me to come in for 4 hours on Saturday!

I can just do the Saturday stuff all leisurely come Monday morning.Report

7. Avatar Michael Cain

Well, if the snow continues to come down like it is right now, something other than was planned. “Two to four inches,” they said. We’ve already got that and it’s still snowing hard. The city must have believed them. Just got back in from retrieving my wife and the plows and sand trucks aren’t out, so it’s packing down and getting slick.Report