Briefly, On Ten Years Of Sobriety

Sam Wilkinson

According to a faithful reader, I'm Ordinary Times's "least thoughtful writer." So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

1. Congratulations and best wishes for the next 10, 20, and more years!Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

Good job. Keep it up.

Good luck.Report

3. Avatar North says:

Congratulations Sam. May it last for fifty more at least.Report

4. Avatar joke says:

Good for you. I am with you. Once an addict, always an addict.

I am also an addict. To nicotine. I have not smoked for nine years now. I do not kid myself about still being an addict. I am. I am grateful that smoking is less socially acceptable here in the US than it once was, that it is forbidden in most bars, restaurants, and not welcome in most homes. I am grateful that most of the people I know do not smoke, or do so very discreetly. I am grateful that my spouse does not smoke. It would all be much harder; I hardly ever feel the urge.Report

5. Avatar Joe Sal says:

Best regards, and continued success.Report

6. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Congrats, Sam. I can’t imagine it’s been an easy ten years, so kudos.

Here’s to another ten.Report

7. Avatar Murali says:

Best regards and congratulations on making it to 10 years. Have another good 10.Report

8. Congratulation, with my best wished and much admiration.Report

9. Avatar Stillwater says:

Congratulations Sam. Ten years is a long time, something to be very proud of.Report

10. Avatar Miss Mary says:

Congratulations, Sam. I find it difficult to avoid alcohol for a year or two while pregnant/breastfeeding, so I can only imagine how much hard work you’ve done over ten years. Keep it up.Report

11. Avatar Hoosegow Flask says:

Congrats. Thank you for continuing to share your story.Report

12. Avatar Dave says:

Congratulations. Thank you for sharing your story.Report

13. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Mazel Tov, Sam!!!Report

14. Avatar Damon says:

Congrats Sam!

You are to be commended. Keep it up.

I’ve often wondered why some people can consume products (food/booze/drugs, etc) and where one can put it down and be done, others cannot. Everyone has some “challenge”, be it weight, etc. that they deal with. Some are successful and some aren’t. Is it genetic? Is it mental? Circumstance? Maybe if we could nail it down those who have been less successful could be better at fixing their own challenges.Report

• Avatar Kim says:

Alcoholism in the literature is often a symptom of masked depression. Men who don’t drink (like the Amish) are more willing to admit that they’re depressed.

And depression is both genetic and circumstantial.Report

15. Avatar Chris says:

Thank you for this.Report

16. Avatar Kim says:

Congratulations!
    If you’re looking for more excitement, you really are making it far more difficult (and exciting) for someone to kill you.Report

17. Avatar Sam Wilkinson says:

You are all very kind for having posted these comments, and I thank you for all of them.Report