Alexandra King — Muslim woman: I’m one of Trump’s “silent voters”

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Steve

Very inspiring article! Alexandra through her bright intellect sees through all the rhetoric and at the peril of her own safety, speaks from the heart. Politics are fake and being politically correct is not aways the best. I’m not happy with the freak show election, and the blatant immoral indifference, but bringing everyone to the middle and coming together as a country really resonates with me. Thanks!Report

2. Avatar Saul Degraw

Useful idiotsReport

3. Avatar greginak

She must be right. I’ve never ever heard about extremist muslims. Completely new to me. Maybe we should deploy some of the military to those muslim places.

or

I guess all those muslims who feel terrified of trumpy or deeply insulted by him don’t’ matter now. But that does free me to speak for all white guys i guess.Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to greginak

My first thought was literally “She should find a way to make it clear she’s a “Good Muslim” instead of a “Bad Muslim”. It’s not like the bad ones wear signs.”

That quickly went Godwin, though.Report

4. Avatar Saul Degraw

I don’t see the value in finding exceptions that prove the rules. All it does is put a fig leash on the authoritarian fascist.

White Nationalists and Bigots have been emboldened by Trump’s victory. Today I read that someone added every black freshman at Penn to some kind of text list with a daily lynching calendar. This sort of harassment is going to get worse before it gets better. If it gets better.

So I really don’t care if there are minorities who voted for Trump. You can always find exceptions. It proves nothing except allowing people to fool themselves that democracies need blank states and normal transitions of power.

Institutions hold until they don’t. Currently I think that the people who might do the most harm are those who know someone is dangerous but think the danger is contained. I’d rather have alarm bells constantly ringing at full blast.Report

5. Avatar Rufus F.

I don’t mean this as a defense of voting Trump, but I think Asra Nomani’s fear of “extremist Muslims” likely stems from the fact that her friend and fellow journalist Daniel Pearl was staying with her in Karachi when he was abducted and murdered. It’s certainly an issue she’s been very vehement about since.Report