Morning Ed: Europe {2016.11.03.Th}

Will Truman

Will Truman is the Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. He is also on Twitter.

1. Avatar LeeEsq says:

Blair: On another blog, a poster pointed out that voters tend to grow tired of popular politicians after about 8 to 10 years. Blair had his eight to ten years, so British voters do not want more of him.

Corbyn: It would take something that makes the Conservatives look very bad to make Corbyn electable and even than it might not work. Corbyn represents what Saul calls the failure mode of the political party, when the party’s members believe in it’s plank but the rest of the electorate isn’t buying it one bit. Labour has been struggling with the United Kingdom not being a country filled with starry-eyed leftist idealists since 1979.

The Remain article goest to an article about France’s President.

I’m disappointed that the plan to attract London’s businesses does not involve magnets.

British courts never eviscerated libel laws like the Supreme Court did in the United States in the name of freedom of speech. Its also generally the defendant’s burden to show that their statements were true rather than the plaintiff’s burden to show that they were false like it is in the United States. The reason why the British are famously polite is because failing to do so can get quite expensive.Report

2. Avatar Damon says:

Calais Jungle: I do like the idea of “industrial or enterprise zones: still cordoned off from the rest of society, but behind barriers that are economically permeable.” But I think the gov’ts first need to figure out whether or not they are going to let these people stay long term.

Of course, one could stop meddling in areas of the world and creating the problems of refugees in the first place, but that option seems to elude our glorious leaders.Report

3. Avatar Kim says:

A European country is launching an invasion of another country, and this is what links you’ve got?
    Shame on you for not paying attention to world affairs.
    Shame on Americans for being too obsessed with their own election…Report

4. Avatar notme says:

Cosby’s lawyers argue that his failing eyesight should preclude prosecution. First he couldn’t get a fair trial b/c he was black, now this.

5. Avatar notme says:

UK High Court rules Government cannot trigger Article 50 without parliamentary approval

6. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

More Russia than Europe, but Putin gives Russian Citizenship to Steven Seagal.

Does this mean we can deport him to Russia now?Report

7. Avatar Kazzy says:

Since Cosby has come up, Owen has become interested in the show “Little Bill”. We were “gifted” a DVD from someone who was clearing off their shelves. There is an episode of the show on it. It is actually a really good show. But… Bill Cosby. It’s okay for him to still watch it, right?Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Kazzy says:

The eternal question.

“This artist was horrible. Should I be allowed to enjoy zher art?”

On one level, you have an out if you run with “if I buy it used, Cosby won’t see a cent”. This will allow you to enjoy a whole bunch of stuff. You have another if you wait for the artist to die before you purchase the art in question. (Bonus for those who want to listen to Jimi Hendrix!)

If you require that your artists must be moral exemplars, I could point you to something like this. But, then again, I was raised in a household where we listened to Sandi Patty and not Amy Grant because Amy Grant came across as a little too forward. When Sandi got divorced, wooo doggies. There were discussions about whether we needed to get rid of her albums.Report

• I find myself liking Wagner’s music more than when I was younger, but Wagner himself less. I used to believe his anti-semitism was just your typical 19th century European anti-semitism. Then I looked into it more.Report

• There is something that feels greasy about enjoying the art of a monster.

I wrote a short paragraph about an artist that most of us (here, anyway) would know of and then about zher relationship with another artist that ended up driving the other artist mad.

If you didn’t know about this messed up story (and it is kinda messed up), that might result in you enjoying this artist’s art a lot less. And, lemme tell ya, you’ve enjoyed this artist’s art.

I decided to erase the paragraph because I felt like I’d be destroying something and not creating something by telling you this story that happened more than a century ago between people who are long dead and the only thing that remains of their relationship are a bunch of pieces that people today still enjoy and say “golly, this artist was ahead of zher time.”

Is anybody really curious about who the artist was? Do they wonder as they look at a work “I don’t know if I can enjoy this because I don’t know how this person treated zher significant other”?

Are you going to wonder that the next time you find yourself pausing in a museum before something makes you stop and look… really, really look?Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Jaybird says:

Jay,
        Yes, that artist was horrible. She blew up a man’s bladder from the inside!
        … wait, were we not talking about people in the witness protection program?
        Pity.Report

8. Avatar notme says:

Pharrell Williams Begs Women to Vote Hillary: She’s Dishonest, But So Are You

Of Clinton, he added, “Has she been dishonest about things? Sure. Have you?” Accusing Clinton’s opponents and Trump of “gender bias,” he said, “She don’t lie no more than any other politician does.”