Sassafras

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Saul Degraw

Sorry for your loss Burt. A few other friends put dogs to sleep this year or had their dogs suddenly die. It always seems hard to deal with.Report

2. Avatar LeeEsq

Dogs are our oldest and truest animal companions. Human civilization wouldn’t be possible without the dog because they were the ones that helped us domesticate other animals and take care of them. They guarded our homes and settlements and worked with on the hunt and in the pasture. Its why the lost of a dog always seems so hard.Report

3. Avatar Chip Daniels

I’m sorry for your loss.

I saw a cartoon once of a guy standing in front of the Pearly Gates, and God as a giant dog in flowing robes asks him, “Didn’t our loving, all-forgiving and joyful natures give you a clue?”

Kinda sums up how I feel about them.Report

4. Avatar Anne

Thank you for sharing @burtLikko and I am so sorry for your lossReport

5. Avatar Oscar Gordon

As one who has been there, my condolences. At least she had a good life, and a peaceful end.Report

6. Avatar Aaron David

God, I am so sorry Burt. I have had to do this a few times in the last year or so and nothing makes it easier.Report

7. Avatar North

I am sorry for both of your losses Burt.

Dogs are, historically, one of the core fibers of human civilization. Service dogs are one of the closest approximations to pure living good I have seen in this material world.
    Which is why, despite the old masters warnings (http://www.bartleby.com/364/335.html) we still give our hearts to a dog to tear.Report

8. Avatar Doctor Jay

My father died of pancreatic cancer. It was in the late 80’s, a long time ago. I remember driving him to the oncologist (he let me drive!). I remember the oncologist telling me about his chemotherapy. He said, “There’s a high-intensity treatment and a low-intensity treatment. Your father has chosen the low-intensity treatment.” I pushed back, “Why!? What’s up with that?”. The doctor replied, with my father listening, “Well, there’s a quality of life issue.”

Your story kind of reminds me of that day. Many condolences.Report

9. Avatar Jaybird

It always sucks to say goodbye to an old friend.

I wish the world were not this way.Report

10. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I know people say this and it sounds cliche but man, my heart is breaking for you Burt. When my grandfather, whom I loved dearly, passed away I kept it together better than when I lost the last dog. I think it’s just their sheer goodness, loyalty and unwavering love that plucks at something special in our hearts.

Hang in there and all I can say is that I will be thinking of Sassafras this weekend…and I didn’t even know her.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Mike Dwyer

Sure you did, she had the same love and loyalty you got from your dogs. They’re such wonderful companions and that’s why it hurts so when they leave us.

Thanks to you all. It is a balm on my heart to share this story with you all and to receive your condolences. Report

11. Avatar Pillsy

I’m very sorry to hear it. 🙁Report

12. Avatar Francis

I said goodbye to my Misha on June 24, 2015. He had been slipping fast in the last month, and when my wife got home from work that day she found him lifeless, with our other dog by his side. We took him to the vet to handle his body, and I cried and cried.

My heart aches and my eyes tear up from writing this.

I am so very sorry for your loss, Burt. It just hurts. Please take some comfort from knowing that you are in our thoughts.Report

13. Avatar Damon

My condolences as well Burt, for both your losses. I lost my Dad about two years back and one of my cats about two months ago (the one that lived with my now ex). Our cats were both rescues, and their life with us was “retirement”–filled with comfort and pleasure after a difficult life “before us”. That sounds like what you and your family gave Sassy. She had a good run with you…

You did a good thing give her a new life.
    You did a good thing a letting her go.

Peace.Report

14. Avatar Maribou

I’m so sorry for both of your losses, Burt.

You and your whole family are in my heart tonight.Report

15. Avatar El Muneco

Sincerest sympathies, Burt.Report

16. Avatar Mike Schilling

So sorry, Burt. I know how hard it is but it’s good that you had a chance to say goodbye.Report

17. Avatar Guy

Aye, it’s always bad when you have to be involved like that. Not much more I can say, really.Report

18. Avatar CJColucci

I had to do the same thing recently. Of course it was the right thing to do. And knowing that doesn’t help a bit. All we can do is muddle through.Report

19. Avatar Slade the Leveller

I’ve never lost a pet, Burt, but your love shows through in your writing.

I have lost a parent, way too soon, and 12 years later it’s sometimes hard to take. Life does go on, however.

Condolences.Report

20. Avatar dragonfrog

My condolences for both of your recent losses.

It sounds like you gave Sassy a good, loving, dignified life, and a good and dignified death also.Report

21. Avatar Stillwater