Tinker

Aaron David

A fourth generation Californian, befuddled.

1. Avatar dexter

Sounds like fun. I read the book, but it has been so long that I have forgotten most of it.
    Question: Where would you put Len Deighton in your pantheon of British spy writers?Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to dexter

I have never really read Deighton, so have no idea where he fits. Which would you recomend to start with?Report

• Avatar dexter in reply to Aaron David

It has been eons since I read any Deighton. I was just surprised that you failed to mention him since you knew so much about the others including Buchen and Mundy who I had never heard of until today. I would probably recommend starting at the beginning with the Ipcress File. I also remember enjoying the movies, but that too was eons ago and they may not have aged well.Report

2. Avatar Anne

Woo Hoo I’m in just finished a book and was trying to decide what to read nextReport

3. Avatar Vikram Bath

I don’t have time for anything.

But there is an audiobook version I can download from the library. OK, fine. Let me see if I can give it a try.Report

4. Avatar dragonfrog

This has been on my should-read list for some time. I’ve only ever done one book club-ish type group read, and it was a blast. I’ll give it a try.

Like Vikram, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to keep up at present, though an audiobook might be worth a shot.Report

5. Avatar Burt Likko

Awesome. I just bought the book (though the link provided, diverting some of my retail spending back to the site’s maintenance fund and you should too) and I’m looking forward to reading it.

This is one of those books that has always been on my “I really ought to read that someday” list, the one that has a bunch of titles that it seems like lots of other people have read and you’re ever so mildly embarrassed to have not read yourself. Well, no more!

Thanks for picking up the book club football, @aaron-david!Report

6. Avatar Francis

The only problem with Tinker Tailor is that it is only the first book in the Quest for Karla trilogy.

(good lord, has it really been 25 years since I read those books? How did i get so damn old?)Report

7. Avatar Slade the Leveller

See ya in 2 weeks. le Carre is one of my favorite authors, and this is a good chance to reread this gem.

As an aside, I recently discussed the film version, starring Gary Oldham, with some people. It bored most of them to tears, while I loved it. Is that because I read the book? There is so little action in one of Cornwell’s books that they must be extremely hard to dramatize.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Slade the Leveller

I loved the movie without having read the book. (Yet! It’s on order from the library! Will read it on time!)Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Slade the Leveller

I would say, yes, for knowing the book allows the connections that are slightly missed in that film version to be mildly glossed over. But, as much as I love Gary Oldham, I rather dislike that version, partially due to the BBC miniseries version being sooooooooo good, and partially due that version having the Tree as an actor in it (I call Colin Firth the Tree for he seemingly has the acting ability of a chunk of wood.)Report

8. Avatar Chris

The novel’s plot, a complex web of deception that’s lasted for many years, is really dense and convoluted in a necessary way. I definitely recommend cutting it up into smaller chunks, because it can be easy to lose one’s way, and will help to talk about it as we go along.Report

9. Avatar Saul Degraw

I’ve always been one of Smiley’s people. I’m in. It might be fun to also compare the BBC mini series and the relatively recent remake with Oldham and FirthReport

10. Avatar James K

Sounds like fun, count me in.Report

11. Avatar Kazzy

Got my library copy. I start work next week so will have lots of train time to read. Per Chris’s comment above and how little I liked “The Bourne Identity” (gave up 150-so pages in), I don’t know if this is for me or if I’ll stick with it but I’ll give it a go.Report

12. Avatar Kazzy

Is there a way to make the Amazon associate thingy work in the app? I do almost all my shopping there.Report