You Have Got to be Fishing Kidding Me

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

They have Chuztpah, I will give them that.Report

2. Avatar RTod says:

Tangentially related, but I’ve noticed over the past 3 or 4 weeks the Trump campaign seems to have adopted the strategy of taking whatever criticism it or Trump has gotten in the prevoius day or two and make the identical criticism of Clinton. (e.g.: if people are worried about Trump’s ties to Putin on Monday and Tuesday, then on Wednesday Trump will start accusing Clinton of being Putin’s puppet.)

It’s like clockwork.

I am unsure what to make of it.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

Fourth grade playground insults. Pretty typical for Trumpy. That has always been his schtick.Report

• Avatar Chip Daniels says:

But you gotta admit, Hilary does have rather slender, delicate little hands.

Oh, I will still vote for her, but still…Report

• Avatar LeeEsq says:

The Presidential debates are going to be fun, painful, but fun.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

If they happen.

Which I am thinking is 60/40 that they aren’t going to.Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Seems like good odds.

Did you see that Trump is using plausibly denial hits of violence now?

Did you see that unskewing the polls is already happening?Report

• Avatar North says:

If he doesn’t attend the debates then I’d say that’d suggest strongly he’s going to drop out. I can’t imagine if he simply doesn’t go.Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Trump’s dropping out depends on what is a bigger blow to his ego. Losing or dropping out?Report

• He won’t simply not go. He’ll make demands to make them “fairer”, and refuse to go when they’re not met. He’ll hold his own debates and call Hillary a coward if she doesn’t attend.

Basically, he’ll challenge Hillary to respond to his craziness without coming off as either condescending or mean. I hope she’s up to it.Report

• Avatar North says:

Desperation? Trump has a campaign staff of, what, 30 trying to do what 300 are doing on the other side? Scooping up the enemies cannonballs and shooting them back at them is not an unknown tactic when you happen to have no ammo of your own.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Yeah, it still doesn’t make sense.

There’s actually plenty of areas where Clinton can be vulnerable. As I have pointed out in the past, she’s not exactly universally beloved. So why focus instead on issues that are being brought up about you? It’s like Hilary Clinton going after Elizabeth Warren by saying, “I bet her husband bangs other women on the side!”Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

“I’m rubber and you’re glue…
      No. I’m glue. And rubber. The stickiest glue and the bounciest rubber. Glue so sticky and rubber so bouncy you’re gonna get tired of my bouncing and sticking…”
      “Like your ex-wives?”
      “You’re my ex-wife!”Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw says:

There was an article at Wonkette that analyzed Trump as a not-particularly funny class clown. Joking/Entertaining is his instinct. But he is not funny. Trump’s benefit and/or problem is that since he is really rich and powerful, he gets surrounded by lackeys and yes men who will laugh no matter what. This distorted his sense in what is and what is not funny.

Trump is finally on a stage where his class clown nature is a liability and not an asset.Report

3. Avatar Damon says:

Yah…

“We COULD Do Worse Than These Two. Right?”

I’m really not sure about that…..Report

• Avatar Guy says:

For what it’s worth, we could definitely do differently-bad with, say, Jim McGreevy on the D ticket. I’m not willing to make a claim as to whether Clinton is an unusually corrupt politician or if there are no other more corrupt Democrats.Report