The Catwalk to Citizenship

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Vikram Bath

This seems to be working both ways.

Those who otherwise congratulate themselves on their compassion are calling for Melania Trump to be deported. Those who consider “illegal immigrant” is a slur have no qualms about lobbing it at her.

I think Tod is absolutely 100% right that there isn’t a whole lot of principle behind these issues, but that lack of principle isn’t restricted to Trump supporters.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to Vikram Bath

Yes, but it’s a weak comparison, since most of the lobbing “illegal” at her seem to be doing it ironically.

The point is still valid, I believe, because you can take a slew of other issues where this happens. Just think this particular one is stronger one way than two.Report

• Avatar veronica d in reply to Vikram Bath

@vikram-bath — It seems an easy enough needle to thread. Simply state, “She should not be deported, but Trump is a hypocrite, cuz according to his standards, she should be. This reveals a contradiction in his position that does not exist in ours.”Report

• Avatar Vikram Bath in reply to veronica d

Perhaps I am being a bit unfair in expecting the needle to be threaded on Twitter.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Vikram Bath

On twitter? You’re not being unfair, you’re just presumably stoned out of your head if you’re expecting anything reasoned from twitter.Report

• Avatar veronica d in reply to Vikram Bath

Oh I expect all sorts of dumb things will happen on Twitter.

Here is a prediction: at least ten people on “the left” will say something profoundly stupid and unfair about this topic, and who will then be “discovered” by their political opponents and used as evidence that the “other side” is morally bankrupt.

Sure. That will happen. However, I bet nothing much actually happens to Melania Trump, because those “in power” realize this is a political clusterfuck and it’s better just left alone.

In other words, this will be the opposite of what happened with Obama’s birth certificate or Benghazi.Report

• Avatar Mo in reply to Vikram Bath

I believe the immigration activists who are saying she should be deported are coming out in favor of petard hoisting, not deportation. There are lots of gay people that made fun of congressman wide stance.Report

2. Avatar Damon

Tod,
    If all illegal immigrants looked as hot as Melania, I doubt the male population of American would object to immigration at ALL.Report

• Avatar Don Zeko in reply to Burt Likko

A high-quality one with which I agree!Report

• Avatar Mo in reply to Burt Likko

I know you’re not an immigration lawyer, but can naturalized citizenship be revoked over something like this?

I am not proposing that this be the punishment, I am legitimately curious.Report

• Avatar Vikram Bath in reply to Mo

IANAL, but it says on the forms right there that, yes, it can be revoked if you ever provided inaccurate information to the USCIS.

And, frankly, that doesn’t seem all that unfair if the inaccurate information was intentional or the reason you got your visa or citizenship approved in the first place.

Edit: Nor is this sort of policy atypical in other realms. Most universities reserve the right to revoke your degree if they find you lied on your admissions application or committed academic dishonesty while a student.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Mo

@leesq might be able to weigh in on it. I believe that’s an area he has expertise in.Report

• Avatar Gaelen in reply to Mo

Vikram is basically right. Fraud and willful misrepresentation in applying for an immigration benefit can make someone inadmissible and removable if they are not citizens. If they got citizenship in part because of fraud or misrepresentation then the government can file a suit in district court to strip them of their citizenship. It also gets you barred from ever entering the US without first being granted a waiver.

I practice immigration law, but I’ve only had denaturalization threatened once, so it’s not an area I know a great deal about.Report

• Avatar LeeEsq in reply to Mo

I’m an immigration lawyer and the answer is that it is complicated. It’s a lot harder to take away citizenship than a green card under the law so the government generally only tries to revoke citizenship for the most egregious things. What Melania did is technically illegal, working on a B-1, but very common. USCIS usually doesn’t make a big deal about it.Report

• Avatar DensityDuck in reply to Burt Likko

“It comes down to this: we should show her the same generosity or parsimony that we show to other, less fortunate immigrants.”

You mean, let her stay as long as she likes until she steals a gun and shoots someone with it, and then reluctantly put her on a bus to Tijuana?Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Burt Likko

It should make you wonder about the Latino immigrants who come here — how many have potential similar to Ms. Trump?

To start with, there’s Salma Hayek.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

The jobs that Melania stole were…

ah, I’m not going to finish this joke.Report

4. Avatar Autolukos

Certainly when I asked about the the lead paragraph of the Libertarian ticket’s statement on Twitter, the Trumpists were predictably quick to proclaim indignation at the idea that they would want their stated policy preferences put into action.

Personally, I’m glad she’s here and hope her story inspires others not to let visa issues get in the way of pursuing their dreams.Report

5. Avatar Kolohe

I’m too sexy for the ICE, too sexy for the ICE, so sexy I say thrice.Report

6. Avatar Christopher Carr

This should go to show what an absurd farce our immigration system is and that all opposition to immigration is either willful ignorance or thinly veiled racism. That will not be the takehome message however.Report

7. Avatar Aaron David

I hear she is a model citizen…Report

8. Avatar Dark Matter

““Show me the man, and I’ll show you the crime.””

– Lavrentiy Beria, head of Joseph Stalin’s secret police

9. Avatar Doctor Jay

I like the premise of the OP. I will have to pay more attention to that idea.Report

10. Avatar Stillwater

Despite this, I’m going to bet a round of top-shelf whiskey right now that this news will not hurt Trump at all with the hardcore anti-immigration crowd in the weeks to come. Further, I will bet that their opinion of her will remain unblemished, and if they respond to the news at all it will be to come to her defense.

Hmmm. I think I’ll have to take that bet. My guess is that that demographic, as described, will in fact shift against Trump. Problem is, acourse, determining the constituency in question as distinct from, say, incredibly pissed off undereducated racist white guys.Report

11. Avatar Mike Schilling

The number of Trump supporters who will give a rat’s ass about this is the same as the number of Trump supporters who could find Slovenia on a map.Report