Russell Saunders — Giving My Mom the Death She Wanted

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Maribou

@russell-saunders Thank you for sharing that with the world. We’re lucky to have you in it, writing. Love to you and your family.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

I remember the story that you told us about your mom loving the Three Stooges.

That story made me laugh.

Thank you for sharing this story about her as well, even though it made me choke up.Report

3. Avatar Miss Mary

I’m so sorry, Doc. 🙁 I can’t even imagine. Hugs.Report

4. Avatar Francis

My deepest condolences.

Thanks for sharing your story. While my parents are doing fine for a couple in their mid-80s, what you described is what they want. This is my future. It’s stories like this that let me know that I can do my part.Report

5. Avatar Damon

Indeed. My grandmother died in a nursing home, raving. I vowed before I was 21 to never let that happen to me. Fortunately my father had a similar death as your mom, at home, surrounded by family. There are only a few ways to go out that I can think of that would be better. I’m glad you mom could have the death she wanted. The idea of being in a nursing home or hospital surrounded by invasive machines and cared for by strangers gives me the horrors.Report

6. Avatar Anne

Russell I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this heart wrenching yet beautiful part of your life. I lost my dad, way too soon, three years ago. My thoughts are with you and your family.Report

7. Avatar North

Thank you for sharing Doc, my condolences.Report