Imagine for a moment you and your friends are getting together to discuss how you’re going to share a pizza.
Then the rich dude down the street comes in and says “Hey, can I get in on this”. He’s really rich, so his participation might help you get a much bigger pie (from a much better restaurant) and increase the number of toppings you get, so you say “sure, come on in.”
As part of this process, he demands that you add anchovies to at least half the pie (let’s assume for a moment, you’re one of those terrible people who hates anchovies), and that he will absolutely NOT tolerate any mushrooms being on the pie at all.
You acquiesce of course, because, again, he’s offering to pay a big chunk of the pie that has gone from medium to extra extra large, and from a Pizzahut to Lou Malnatti’s, but you’re still pretty iffy about his participation.
So you guys shell out the money, call the pizza place…then the guy comes over and says “Hey, sorry, my wife just told me we’re not supposed to have pizza” and walks away.
When you next order pizza and the guy comes over to say he wants in, how will you treat him?
What if the other rich neighbor up the street (a guy the first guy can’t STAND) offers to take part, and actually fronts the money?
And, this, my friends, is my overly simplistic description of the US role in the TPP negotiations. To see why this analogy works, see my historical overview in my old TPP primer.
- Next story LeagueFest 2016: It’s Time
- Previous story What Milo Tells Us About Free Speech And Decency
Ten Second News
September 3, 2021
September 15, 2021
September 8, 2021
September 6, 2021
August 20, 2021
September 15, 2021
August 31, 2021
August 22, 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everything is looking good. Please report any problems.
- on Sunday Morning! “Ethan Frome” by Edith Wharton Most not very online people still hold onto the meteorological theory of climate. It's why we have have ideas…
- on Listed: AOC, The Met Gala, and That Dress "I don't like it" is not an argument, its a feeling. I don't like tight underwear, you don't like anchovy pizz…
- on Listed: AOC, The Met Gala, and That Dress Chip, I kinda *LIKE* AOC. (I think that she's the Democrats' Trump!) Now, there is something that very much bu…
- on Listed: AOC, The Met Gala, and That Dress Don't bother. This is a tiresome game where I ask a question then you ask me one and refuse to answer until I…
- on FDA Approves Boosters for Over 65 I suspect that's good advice.
- on Listed: AOC, The Met Gala, and That Dress I have several questions you haven't answered, Chip. Here are the big ones: Are masks necessary? You said that…
- on The Festival of Fetch: The Encouraging Fizzle of The “Justice For J6” Rally I heard a total of one news story in the RW media leading up to the event, and it was that Trump called it a s…
- on Listed: AOC, The Met Gala, and That Dress Is this only about masks or is it wrong, generally, to demand that unimportant people do things that important…