Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Haven’t had time to really watch much this week.

I did manage to work myself through a couple of brain-candy books, though. One was Neil Jordan’s The Drowned Detective, which was a little too dark and brooding to be a good summer read. I suspect I’d have liked it more if I had read in on a cold, stormy January weekend. The other was Hostile Takeover, the sequel to Shane Kuhn’s The Intern’s Handbook. It was perfect airplane fodder.

Right now I’m in the middle of Yuval Levin’s The Fractured Republic. It being by Yuval Levin, I was expecting to disagree with him far more than I am. I don’t necessarily agree with his proposed solutions, but his main thesis — that both liberals and conservatives nostalgically focus on returning America to different idyllic pasts that likely never existed, and should instead focus on forging something entirely new based on 21st century realities — is pretty compelling. I recommend it highly, regardless of your political stripe.Report

2. Avatar Aaron David says:

Well, reading two things right now In Dubious Battle Steinbeck. And Hunting Eichmann which lays out Israel’s, well, rendition. There is nothing else to call it at this point, and it has me rethinking many things. No Politics! (bad Aaron)

I had never read Battle, but I had been hankering for some Steinbeck lately as we vacationed a bit in Monterey. It is glorious.

Been re-watching Community lately. Man does that show get weird… Changlorious Bastards!Report

• Other than Grapes of Wrath, my favorite Steinbecks are all short novels: Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, Of Mice and Men, The Pastures of Heaven. I recall IDB only vaguely, but East of Eden definitely got away from him, just as badly as Song of Ice and Fire has gotten away from GRRM.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

Huh. I vastly prefer East of Eden to the others of his novels I’ve read… (though I’ve only grazed the surface of Steinbeck so far).Report

• Avatar Aaron David says:

East of Eden was his first that I read on my own (Mice was a staple in school…) Loved it, one of the few books I go back and read every few years.Report

• Interesting how tastes differ. The C’s constantly beating up on the A’s just seems silly to me.Report

• Avatar Aaron David says:

Whats funny to me is that I generally do not like the 6k page door stops anymore, rather prefering the 150 page tightly wound novels but that one does it. Maybe it was the first time I encountered a character named Aaron that did it…Report

3. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

I am reading the Landbreakers by John Ehle* still. I also am starting the White Road: A Journey into Obsession by Edmund de Waal which is part memoir, part history, and part travelogue on Porcelain.

I saw Star Trek Beyond on Friday and thought it was enjoyable. Making Sulu gay was rather a non-issue. You find out that Sulu has a daughter in the opening narration (about the sacrifices of spending 5 years in space) and when the crew goes on “shore leave” at a deep space station, you see Sulu’s daughter and husband on the station for family time. The husband and daughter on on screen for a total of 3 minutes max (if that).

Today I am going to see Our Little Sister by Kore-eda Hirokazu.Report

4. Zootopia is wonderful, every bit as well-written and fun as the best of the Pixar films. And it’s great to see (hear, anyway) Idris Elba being as funny as I always suspected he was.Report

5. Avatar Maribou says:

Watched Netflix’s Stranger Things, it was soooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Reading a bit of this and a bit of that. Just finished looking at Robert Mapplethorpe – Archive, halfway through the delicious Ancillary Mercy (and it’s already made me tear up once), reading an old gothic suspense novel when I’m out & about because it is very easy to pick up and put down…

Started listening to podcasts again, which is fun.Report

6. Avatar North says:

I’m surprised it took you so long to see Zootopia, it’s really good and yes, approached its core subjects with enormous cleverness. Disney has been on fire the last couple years, they’re absolutely rolling in quality material.Report

7. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Our Little Sister was excellent! I am a bit sad that it attracts the typical arthouse audience even though it is based on a manga in this age of fandom. Post forming in my head.Report

8. fillyjonk fillyjonk says:

I find I get more simple escapist joy (and yet, conversely, more interesting topics to think about later) from so-called “kids’ movies” than for ones ostensibly aimed at whatever my demographic would be (47 year old never-married professional woman so I presume that would either be some kind of documentary or perhaps a “meet cute” movie – and I loathe “meet cute” movies).

I enjoyed Zootopia a lot. I don’t think I enjoyed it *quite* as much as I enjoyed “Big Hero Six” and perhaps it didn’t make me contemplate as much as “Inside Out” did. But oh my, the settings in it are so GORGEOUS….the scene where the monorail is carrying Judy through the different habitats, I have to see that again.Report

• Avatar Kimmi says:

You’ve got to watch Gortimer Gibbons.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Dude, I totally agree. (You’ve seen The Iron Giant, right? YOU NEED TO SEE THE IRON GIANT.)

I was of the opinion that Zootopia was the best of the three films you mentioned, though. The sets, the voice acting, even the story. I could think of a handful of things that I would have done to improve Big Hero Six or Inside Out a little bit. A tweak here, a change there… Zootopia? I can’t think of anything that I could even touch without making the movie worse.Report