Wednesday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Brandon Berg

Bobby Darin mentions here how he recorded Tim Hardin’s “If I Were a Carpenter,” and then Tim Hardin recorded his “Simple Song of Freedom.” Although I’m not sure it counts as a cover, since Tim Hardin was the first to record “Simple Song of Freedom.”

• Avatar Brandon Berg in reply to Brandon Berg

Actually, Bobby Darin’s recording of “If I Were a Carpenter” was released before Tim Hardin’s, too. Strictly speaking, neither was a cover.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Brandon Berg

I keep thinking that there should be an example of Dolly Parton covering Whitney Houston or *SURELY* Trent Reznor covered something that Johnny Cash wrote or Bob Dylan sang “Are You Experienced” or something…

And I can’t find it.

Surely it’s because I’m ignorant of this sort of thing… but I can’t find any other examples and that strikes me as crazy because that’s something that ought to happen all the time!Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Jaybird

Back in the 1990’s, I remember a friend asking if I’d ever heard of a band called Ednaswap, because they did a downbeat interpretation of that Natalie Imbruglia song that he wanted to track down again.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Burt Likko

Yeah, when Big Yellow Taxi was covered by Counting Crows and Vanessa Carlton came on the radio when I was driving with a buddy, he immediately yelled “THEY’RE COVERING AMY GRANT NOW?!?!?”

He was not kidding.

“How do you know he wasn’t kidding?”
            “Dude. I know that he wasn’t kidding.”

In any case, it’d be cool if Ednaswap covered something by that Natalie Imbruglia and brought balance to the universe somehow.Report

• Avatar Brandon Berg in reply to Jaybird

Web search for reciprocal song covers turned up this.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Brandon Berg

For reasons known only to the ether, I don’t think I’m counting “songs that they play in concert, but never officially record”.

We can probably find plenty of examples of bands covering other bands in concert (and it being reciprocal) and neither band knowing that the other one did.

I’d like to think we could, anyway.

I’m just surprised that I can’t seem to dig up any official ones.Report

2. Avatar Brandon Berg

Here’s a twenty-pack.Report

3. Avatar trizzlor

I’m guessing you’re excluding jazz, right? Because there you have dudes writing entire does to other composers collective work, then that ode gets covered and improvised by the initial composer, then the two work together and make a third piece that’s a reference to both. In pop music, a cool thing happened when Gnarles Barkley got a hit covering the Violent Femmes “Gone Daddy Gone”:

and then the Femmes got back together and covered Barkley’s smash hit “Crazy”:

with both covers being entirely consistent with the rest of that musicians work, such that I don’t even think most people realize “Gone Daddy Gone” is a cover (Crazy was so over-saturated that there’s basically no way not to recognize the lyrics).Report

4. Avatar dexter

Old guy here, Ian and Sylvia covered Gordon Lightfoot songs and vice versa. Those Canadians have to stick together. Even Neil Young covers Ian and Sylvia.
    What I am listening to is a lot of Kate Wolf, (almost any song is good), and Devil Makes Three (Live at the amoeba is best).Report

5. Avatar Aaron David

Uhm, there is an Old ’97’s/Funland ep with both bands doing their own song, and then the other bands.

Here is a sample: