Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Will H.

Reading mostly.
    Exactly what remains to be seen.
    Either legal documents from the 1840’s, legal documents from the 1850’s, old newspapers from the 1840’s, or some current technical stuff on art & imagery.

And writing.
    A bunch of notes on index cards (I loves me some index cards!), and revising some old documents.
    Still, it beats the hell out of outlining.

Injured knee.
    No more kayaking for awhile.

Rainstorm decimated the hollyhocks. Grew too heavy with water, and the wind brought them over. I have them staked up now, but I’ll see over the weekend what survived.
    Convolvulus blooming.Report

2. Avatar Aaron David

Scraping varnish and dye. I am restoring my fathers old roll top desk, which was his uncles before him. Said uncle slathered on some sort of dark stain and it needs to go. Along with fixing any issues a 100 yo desk will have.

Other than that, not much but reading. Oh, going for several long walks as I need to move around more (mostly healed from the accident, but falling into bad habits.)Report

3. Avatar Oscar Gordon

It’s Boeing’s 100th birthday, so the Bug & his best buddy are going to the Museum of Flight for an afternoon to enjoy the festivities.Report

4. Avatar Maribou

Looking forward to Saturday night, and to it being the only Social Event of the weekend (Jay’s sister’s house is actually a week from today). Sunday night I’ll be going over to C’s house to watch tv as usual, but any socializing that I’m allowed to wear my nightie for (and comfortable doing so) does not count as a Social Event.

Hoping to do a lot of reading. And ought to do a bunch of chores.Report

5. Avatar Francis

On dieting: A few years back I was 6′ 0″ and 197. Today my height has not changed and I’m bouncing around 180. I attribute the change to the following: no soda, dessert only rarely, beer only rarely and eating less at lunch.

(A truly crushing amount of job stress does assist in eating less at lunch, but it’s not a path I’d recommend.)Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to Francis

I’ve put on almost 5%. I blame steroids (stupid foot injury), lack of exercise (stupid foot injury), a week on a cruise (way too much food) with a drinks package (free booze!), and generalized laziness.

On the other hand Pokemon Go has me trotting around in 100 degree weather. Well, I go out in the evening when it’s cooler — only mid 80s — and take the dog. Because I’m walking my dog, not playing a game.

The dog loves this. Best game ever, as far as he’s concerned.Report

6. Avatar Kazzy

What’s induction?

I’m going here for drinks in a bit. Very excited. And that will likely serve as the swan song on my childless week. The boys return late tonight with their mom and then I scoop them up tomorrow. Depending on where their energy level is, we’ll either go adventuring or chill at home. Sunday we’ll see some old friends for brunch and maybe hit an aquarium.Report

7. Avatar Burt Likko

@jaybird , it’s amazing how dreary a fat-rich, protein-rich diet like that can become. Stick with it, dude! It’ll pay off, you’ll shed several pounds, and then re-integrate gradually. Sweeter vegetables like bell peppers and carrots are coming. Berries are coming. Cheat days are coming.

And STAY HYDRATED.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Burt Likko

Staying hydrated is difficult. Those little “flavor enhancers” help. I go through a lot of Mios/Kool-Aid/Crushes.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Jaybird

Is unsweetened iced tea allowed? I more or less live on that, even without dieting.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Mike Schilling

Yes, coffee and teas are allowed. Diet sodas, even.

The attitude is something like “don’t drink too much caffeine” but that’s because caffeine causes cravings, supposedly.

But if there ever were a diet that said “no coffee/tea”, it’s a diet that was destined to fail.Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to Jaybird

No kidding. I found switching to diet drinks lost me 10% of my bodyweight over about a year. Permanently. It’s stayed off for years.. (Then again, I drank a TON of soft drinks. Never was much of one for coffees and the like. So that was the bulk of my non-water intake).

Pokemon Go might lose me a bit more. My dog and I went to the park for an hour. There was much walking. Which was…much more walking than I’d have done at home. 🙂Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Morat20

We didn’t drink a ton of soda or juice growing up so I’ve thankfully avoided craving such. We had it frequently enough that it wasn’t “forbidden fruit” (“Hey… It’s Pizza Friday… pick up a 2-Liter of coke for the 6 of us!”) but not so frequently that it became a regular habit. I drink a ton of water (probably pushing a gallon most days), have finally succumbed to a daily cup of (black) coffee (Kids!), and a fruit/veggie smoothie. I realize now that this has been a huge factor in being able to keep a really healthy weight: a couple sugary drinks a day could easily add 25% to my caloric intake and shift me from losing/maintaining/gaining healthy weight to gaining unhealthy weight pretty quickly.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Burt Likko

I’m rooting for you, have the discipline I lack! A day or two without carbs and I’d start eating wallpaper.Report

8. Avatar KenB

Oh, that kind of induction. When I clicked on the post, I thought I was going to see a proof that all horses are the same color.Report

9. Avatar Miss Mary

Cleaning. Cleaning the aquarium, cleaning the garage, cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the car inside and out, lots and lots of cleaning. Ordering birthday pie. Birthday cake is overrated. Donating platelets. Taking Junior to see Secret Life of Pets.Report

10. Avatar Michael Cain

Had to run down to the south-ish end of the Denver metro area to pick up fencing gear that I’m supposed to repair. (And because I’m a Colorado Division officer, listen to some parents whine*.) Six tall construction cranes working in LoDo; another one on the west side of I-25 from LoDo; what looks like high-end apartments and townhouses going up at every light rail stop except the University of Denver; three more cranes working south of the Tech Center. Denver’s density continues to go up.

* All fencing parents whine. In this case, about the referees at Nationals earlier this month. I’m expected to listen patiently, even though my inclination is always to say, “Your kid fences a right-of-way weapon. Right-of-way rules are subject to interpretation. One of the things your kid’s coach is supposed to be teaching them is to learn how each referee interprets the rules and adjust accordingly. If you really can’t stand it, switch your kid to epee — I’d rather listen to you complain about your kid’s epee bruises, just for a change of pace.”Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Michael Cain

@michael-cain

Unrelated, but I’m heading to Boulder next week (Sunday through Wednesday). Any must do activities, must dine at restaurants, must drink at bars? It is a work trip, with one day dedicated to a school visit (Boulder Journey School) and a couple of days to hang out with my new crew of teachers and do some team building. Thanks!Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Kazzy

Let’s see…

There are always trendy places to eat in Boulder. Your hotel concierge or front desk can point you at them.

If money is no object, dinner at Flagstaff House. You’re paying for the view more than the food. What you really want is to be there when the lights down on the flatlands are coming on — a reservation for 8:15-ish this time of year. I have no idea whether they’re booked solid already or not.

Lunch at Mountain Sun, appetizer fries and the beer sampler. Those are, for a normal person, a high-carb meal all by themselves. Heck, if you’ve got a free lunch break, I’ll buy you lunch at Mountain Sun — it’s been too long since I’ve been there. Maybe we could rope in Stillwater and have our own little Leaguefest.

Team building… I’ll assume it’s mostly out-of-state people. If you have a day, Rocky Mountain National Park, just because. There are reasons it’s the third most popular of the national parks. Side note if you drive up there — some of the canyon road was under water during the 2013 flooding, impressive when you think about how much rain that took. NCAR, but I’m kind of a weather geek. If you call ahead, a group of teachers might be able to get their own guided tour. Side note — some of the south Boulder houses you’ll pass have working shutters, because hundred mph straight-line winds are a regular thing. A less usual idea — for a group of teachers, you might be able to get a tour of some sort through the Cold Spring fire area (I’d call the Boulder FD to start with and see what they say). Even without the tour, drive up Boulder Creek Canyon and have lunch in Nederland (Salto Coffee Works is okay). The point is to see some of the burn scar and to smell the smoke and ash. Then remember that this was a small fire — there are two others currently burning in Colorado, one 20x the size and the other 30x.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Kazzy

I always enjoyed getting a sandwich and a beer at the Dark Horse tavern.

But I was somewhere around 21 at the time and buying a beer from an actual real-life beer purveyor was still novel for me.Report