Clickhole: Devastating. This Guy Knows Exactly How Black People Should Act Around Police Officers, But He Has No Black Friends To Tell About It

Will Truman

Will Truman is the Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. He is also on Twitter.

1. Avatar RTod says:

This struck me as a piece that something that could have been funny and/or meaningful had it been given to someone with defter or more subtle skills (say, someone at the Onion), but somehow managed to miss both marks pretty badly.Report

• Avatar veronica d says:

It’s almost like, the content of the article is pointless. The headline is all you really need for the joke. The rest will be too “on the nose.”

This would have made a better “thinkpiecebot” headline.

Actually, I think this happens a lot with Onion articles. The first paragraph or so are funny, but past that they just repeat the same joke.Report

• Avatar Will Truman says:

This is a liability with Onion articles. Some of them are more like Ironic Times titles, where there’s really just not much more to say.Report

• Avatar Troublesome Frog says:

I almost always just read The Onion’s headlines. They’re brilliant and concise. You usually can’t add much more than a tag line to them, even if you have a few paragraphs.

It’s almost like the opposite of a regular newspaper, where the headlines are usually bullshit eyeball-bait and often don’t even fully agree with the article underneath them.Report

• Avatar notme says:

Another place with hillarious fake headlines is the duffle blog.Report

• Avatar El Muneco says:

The Onion writes articles behind the headlines?

Hell, I get my biggest Onion fix from “Literally Unbelievable” – which is a collection of captured re-tweets of Onion articles, some of which are almost certainly not faked.Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw says:

I dunno. The click hole is a really good parody of what people say on the Internet and the other futile nature of Internet arguments.Report

2. Avatar Chip Daniels says:

I don’t know-
    I invoke Poe’s Law to assert that the article reads very, very similar to actual comments I have seen online.

Stripped of context, I bet you could get this run at NRO.Report

3. Avatar veronica d says:

@chip-daniels — Oh no doubt. But that’s what we mean by “on the nose.” The humor is all in the headline. After that, it is “predictable white guy” template. Anyone could write the body of the article. It has no humor nor surprise.

The headline made me laugh my ass off.

Contrast with this: http://www.realtruenews.org/single-post/2016/06/28/PURGE-Obama-Fires-Generals-Clears-Way-For-Diversity

That’s fake news with the humor in the body. Plus, there are jokes inside the jokes.Report

4. Avatar Damon says:

So would this be an example of “whitesplaining”? 🙂Report

5. Something I should know but don’t. Is “clickhole” actually The Onion, or is it just something like The Onion?Report

6. Avatar Saul Degraw says: