Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Tomorrow morning my uncle is leading a history walk in our Schnitzelburg neighborhood that I will be attending. These are always interesting and I learn a little more about the place where many of my relatives lived.

UFC 199 on Saturday night.

We have a new Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood, not just an Americanized takeout place but supposedly the real deal, so I need to check that out.Report

• Avatar RTod in reply to Mike Dwyer

That sounds amazing. I wish someone here would do what your uncle does. I would sign up for that in a heart beat.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to RTod

I don’t know if every city does this, but NYC combines two of the things @mike-dwyer mentioned and does walking food tours of different neighborhoods. They’re inherently a little touristy but if you find a good one, they can be pretty awesome even for locals. I think the best one I did was midtown food trucks, which included some little mom-and-pop ones that have been there for a couple decades (like TriniPaki, which is run by an old lady who has Trinidadian and Pakistani background and cooks a mix of the two) to the new fangled ones like the Korean taco truck. Delicious and you learn a neighborhood’s history and culture and the like.Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer in reply to RTod

This is probably the 10th one he has done and I try to attend at least one per year. He changes the routes each time and adds new details. For an ‘amateur’ he has become quite the historian. Better yet, as he approaches 80 he realizes the importance of oral history and has been trying to get as many people from the old days to tell him what they know. Of course, I eat it up because so many of the details are about people who knew my family.

It’s also a little bittersweet to hear the longing in his voice for his youth. He clearly loved where he grew up and having so many friends and family close by and misses it. Growing old can be tough that way.

We had German food after the tour this morning at a little cafe that we would take my grandma to when I was a kid. The rolled oysters and schnitzel are still as good as I remember. Not a bad Saturday at all.Report

2. Avatar aaron david

We had to put my cat to sleep last weekend, so something nicer than that, hopefully.Report

3. Avatar Maribou

Still getting used to the summer work schedule, so I’m planning to alternate between catching up on sleep and catching up on chores… looking forward to getting used to not working Mondays again though.Report

4. Avatar RTod

I’m going to a show tonight to see a good friend perform.

I just got asked to do a piece on Mary Lou Bruener for a magazine in Germany, so most of the rest of the weekend is probably going to be doing research on her.Report