A Belated Post on the Passing of Merle Haggard

Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer is a former writer and contributor at Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar Rufus F.

This is great. I have very similar memories of listening to country music with my father and then bluegrass on Sunday mornings while he’d make us breakfast. Every Christmas I make a mix CD of Christmas music for friends and more often than not “If We Make it Through December” is on there. There’s something in those songs that I just don’t hear much in Nash Vegas “new country”. It’s hard to imagine a song like “Workin’ Man Blues” coming out of those new guys.Report

2. Avatar veronica d

Rest in peace, Mr Haggard.Report

3. Avatar Road Scholar

Sorta weird coincidence: We’re in Shafter, CA, this morning picking up a load and to get here we traveled on… Merle Haggard Ave.

Can’t say I’m much of a fan of country music in general, but Merle and his ilk are at least the real deal. If I’m going to listen to country that’s what I want.Report

4. Avatar Anne

Thank you for a great post @mike-dwyer Merle’s passing was covered here in Oklahoma extensively, not surprising as he has Oklahoma roots. Bowie, Merle and Prince…..my childhood going awayReport

5. Avatar El Muneco

Rich Hall did a documentary for the BBC (I think it was the one on California) where he spent quite a bit of time on the origins of the Bakersfield Sound and the struggles of the Dust Bowl refugees that it grew out of. Quite interesting stuff.Report

6. Avatar Stillwater

H is for Haggard. Just hearing his voice would instantly transport me to a place inside the song. RIP Merle.Report

7. Avatar Will H.

his hits from that era are among his best.

Agreed.

He also did an album of Jimmie Rodgers songs back when that sort of thing wasn’t really so cool.
    Great stuff. Worth having.Report

8. Avatar Joe Sal

Mike, thanks for this one. Sorry I didn’t say it several days ago, but was just not at a PC long enough to. It’s good seeing you back these days.Report