Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Has anybody watched The Man in the High Castle? I just realized it comes free with Amazon Prime.Report

• Avatar Plinko says:

It’s deeply flawed, but very interesting if you just take in the setting and concepts. Some of the characters are thin and uninteresting, I found it worth my time to watch all of it.Report

2. Avatar Alan Scott says:

On the superhero front, I just watched Civil War with my boyfriend.

I think it’s probably the best offering from Marvel Studios to date. I’ve talked a few times about how I think that Marvel is doing something unique and potentially great with their shared universe, and I think this is the movie, more than any other, where the concept of the shared universe really pays off. In a certain sense, this feels as much like a climactic episode of a TV show as it does like a movie.Report

3. Avatar aaron david says:

Rereading in whole, for the first time in I don’t know how long, Il Nome Della Rosa. Well, I am not actually reading it in Italian, as i am not a sadist, but it has been quite nice so far, mostly with what I am focusing on now, at 45, vs. what I focused on at, say, 25 or 15. This time it seems to be the religious agruments that are really grabbing me.Report

4. Avatar Maribou says:

Finished watching 30 Rock. Obsessionally watching 2nd season of Grace & Frankie. Casually watching Con Man. (And yes, Jaybird and I finished Daredevil Season 2. Was good.)

I’m reading a kids’ book from the 60s called _The Apple Stone_ and I really like it. Makes me feel like a kid again. Earlier today I read a verse autobiography by Margarita Engle about living through the Bay of Pigs years as a half-Cuban, half-American with family still in Cuba. It was very well done.Report

• Did you like the last episode of 30 Rock as much as I did? I found the “human brain is not properly connected to the human heart” speech genuinely moving, perhaps because it was really Tina Fey telling Tracy Morgan what working with him had been like.Report

• Avatar Miss Mary says:

In the past 10 days the only TV I watched was 20 minutes of a Scandal episode. I’ve never seen Scandal before, but I enjoyed enough that I’ll put it on the list of things to watch. When I’m not so busy, which is looking like June, then I’m going to watch the second season of Grace and Frankie. I’m so excited! I <3 Lilly Tomlin. 🙂Report

5. Avatar Doctor Jay says:

One thing to think about. Both DD and Punisher have had significant interactions with Karen, which differ in some significant ways. How does she compare them? How does she feel about them?Report

6. Avatar Glyph says:

Random question – would there be any appetite for an MD Movie Night? I tried out an app that works somewhat similarly to the Listening Lounge, except in addition to YouTube, you can select content from Hulu, Netflix, HBOGo, and a few other services (obviously we’d need someone with a membership to those services).

I think Kazzy and Will said they’d never seen Blade Runner, and it’s on Netflix (might be the Theatrical Release, though).Report

• Avatar Chris says:

I’d do it. I don’t have HBOGo, but I have the others.

Also, can we ban Kazzy and Will until they’ve seen it? Seems reasonable.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

I’ve got HBOGo I assume, since I have HBO; I’d just need to configure it/set it up, I think.

I’ll shoot you a mail later and you can be a guinea pig, just to see it.Report

• Avatar aaron david says:

I would seriously be down with a group watch of Blade Runner! That would be awesome.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

OK, I will ping you too for testing purposes.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

@glyph Note that Blade Runner is only on Netflix until May 15th (though it is the director’s cut). I know this because I started watching it last night, because bedamned if I am going to let the opportunity to watch it go by yet AGAIN…

I swear I DID watch it, once, but that was back in the majorly dissociative days, so I have no proper memories of it. (Plz do not ban! 😉 )Report