The ABCs of the Craziest Election of Our Lives — Paradox

Will Truman

Will Truman is the Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. He is also on Twitter.

1. Avatar Stillwater

loyalty to anything except pure conservatism has been a distraction that has splintered the field and let Trump get ahead.

Well, this comment right here, if meant sincerely, is the whole conservative “problem” in a nutshell: “pure conservatism” has been put on trial this election cycle and the practical value, coherence and utility of the concept has been found lacking. The verdict is in: No pure conservatism for you!Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Stillwater

I agree-ish in the particular, but the comment holds if you go with a more general “our values” (which I think you would still disagree with, but c’est la vie)Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to Will Truman

Oh, I’m not sure I’d disagree with the values at that point – heck, I totally understand the value-based argument that life begins at conception, for example – as much as two other things. 1) how those values are codified and enforced; and 2) that the “values” appealed to are purely politically (read: partisanly) derived and have no actual grounding in a person’s life outside of hyper-politics.

I mean, this sounds like the “unseen” stuff D Scotto was talking about, which I think is the primary defect in conservative thought. (If it can’t be seen then what the hell are we talking about wrt policy?) CK talks about that stuff too: truths that are beyond truth-values (I’m pretty sure that’s not how he phrases it), which I also think is incoherent (and impractical) tho doubly so*.

*For the additional reason that if there are truths deeper than actual truths (you know, empirical variety) then no claims mean anything anymore.Report

2. Avatar Mike Schilling

The RFRAs make me grateful that in 1964 the White Citizens’ Councils didn’t appreciate the Constitutional applicability of Genesis 9:25.Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling

Hillary. The most distrusted and disliked candidate in this race—not counting Trump.

The author left out Cruz and, more understandably, Jeb.Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

Rubio. A glimpse of what the 2016 race could have been—a time of renewed passion for conservative ideals and a future where the GOP is known for listening to everyday Americans, working to heal racial tensions and promoting the precious American Dream.

Ricky Rubio? Certainly not the robotic, oft-befuddled senator from Florida. Anyway, it’s all water under the bridge.Report