Saturday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Will H. says:

Fold up a dollar bill into a triangle, sit across from each other at a table, and get into some football.
    Alternatively, quarters.Report

2. Avatar El Muneco says:

Very timely, since D2 just got patched into this decade earlier this week:

Diablo II v1.14a Patch Notes

Specific Changes & Improvements
    – No need to run in XP mode anymore, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 compatibility complete
    – Mac installer and compatibility for 10.10 and 10.11 has arrived
    – First client run will migrate saved characters to avoid issues from Windows system
    admin changes

Known Issues
    – Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supportedReport

3. Avatar Maribou says:

We also played a lot of arcade games together back in the day.

Particularly fond memories of Jurassic Park, Resident Evil, and Gauntlet…Report

4. Avatar James K says:

Having finished my second play-through of Fallout 4, I’ve decided to switch to Civ V for a while. After that I might do a full-DLC play-through of Dragon Age: Inquisition since all the DLC is out now. That will probably keep me occupied until Stellaris comes out in May.Report

5. Avatar North says:

HOMM2 was/is special, especially since you could play it hot seat. I’ve always had a deep love of the HOMM series though I am inclined to agree that HOMM 3 probably was the apex of the series.Report

• Avatar Morat20 says:

I never really got into HOMM, but I do fondly recall owning a copy of Civnet in the 90s and playing it via modem with a friend.

I guess the modern versions still have MP (I’ve never looked, most of my gaming with friends is done on consoles these days and I loathe random matchmaking — I barely tolerate it for FPS free-for-alls, and even then I prefer co-op campaign or firefight stuff where it’s cooperative versus enemies.).

I think the last truly competitive, head-to-head game I played on PC was Blood Bowl I suppose. Or maybe Xcom.

Even back when I did a lot of RTS with friends, we often played versus the AI — we’d turn the difficulty up and cooperate. Have found memories of Starcraft, Diablo, and Age of Empires. It was just more fun. (Especially since I favored a turtled defense while building up late game units to rampage, and my closest friend preferred deep and fast raids — which he’d lure the enemy back to range of my defenses).Report