Wednesday Tunes – Pinkshinyultrablast, Sunflower Bean

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Avatar Aaron David says:

Been on a real NYC kick lately:

2. Avatar dhex says:

the 90s are now our 70s and i feel older than i have since this afternoon when i asked a student how old he was when 9/11 happened and then he told me. and i felt old.

anyway, i am as shocked as you are, but the sun kil moon/jesu collab is actually good! i mean dude is still playing loops and other dude is still reading his grocery list and bemoaning impotence of the spirit and/or junk, but it works well. each helps avoid the other’s major pitfalls (terrible, terrible vocals and boring song structure and less than interesting backing arrangements much of the time).

“what does rekindle mean?” has been stuck in my head for a while now.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to dhex says:

the 90s are now our 70s

It’s worse than that. I told someone the other day that when I went to Lolla 1 in 1991, Woodstock was 22 years in the past; and it (and hippies) seemed impossibly-distant and faintly-ridiculous.

I am farther from Lolla 1 now, than I was from Woodstock then.Report

• Avatar dhex in reply to Glyph says:

by that i mean “for the current crop of yunguns the 90s are to them what the 70s were to us, a faraway land filled with influence and nonsense”.

though i must say your tolerance for shoegazey verby ladies doing 90s things is far higher than mine. the sunflower bean stuff is rather eh (the video is awful). not sure how i feel about the first bit, but i do give them points for being confusing.

both videos are kinda male gazey tho. not sure if it’s intentional or a joke or joktentional.Report

3. Avatar Burt Likko says:

A good place to note: I’ve been rotating the sidebar musical selection a little bit more frequently recently. I’m pretty intrigued by today’s find:

4. Avatar Chris says:

Coincidentally, we’re seeing Sunflower Bean tomorrow.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris says:

Let me know how it is. Opinions are all over the map (and so’s their music) but I think they are pretty young.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph says:

Will do. They’re the first set in an event that we’re attending mainly to see Flatbush Zombies. The whole lineup:

SUNFLOWER BEAN
        KAMAIYAH
        DAY WAVE
        FLATBUSH ZOMBIES
        DUA LIPA
        SECTION BOYZ
        NEON INDIAN
        RAE SREMMURD + THE SREMMLIFE CREW
        KACEY MUSGRAVES

I want to skip out after Section Boyz to try to catch Petite Noir at another venue, but R. Really likes Rae Sremmurd, and Teenager likes Neon Indian, so there may be a heated debate.Report