Stressed? Take a hike!

Chris

Chris lives in Austin, TX, where he once shook Willie Nelson's hand.

1. Avatar LeeEsq

Even when you have to people dodge? I actually like walking and find it to be a stress reliever. When I’m agitated and having to engage in people dodging in New York, it just aggravates me though.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to LeeEsq

Previous studies have shown that being in high-traffic urban environments is itself pretty stressful. This study used low-traffic ones for that reason. So find a quiet street. Or if you really want to be less stressed, get the hell out of New York ;).Report

• Avatar j r in reply to Chris

Probably depends on the person. I love walking in cities. I just moved to one of the densest cities on the planet and I find it quite relaxing to walk around and observe all the activity.

I was born and raised in New York City, though, so urban environments feel like home to me. I do love the nature as well. The place that stresses me out is the suburbs, which can make me quite anxious.Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to LeeEsq

People dodging is far less stressful than “illegally unleashed puppy” dodging. Particularly when dodging involves throwing punches.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Kim

Somehow, imagining you walking down the streets of Pittsburgh punching dogs doesn’t seem that fantastic.Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Chris

Oh, not me… When do my stories ever actually say that I did something?
          A friend of mine, who’s been attacked multiple times by rural dogs (he took to carrying a whappin’ stick on his bike, in order to knock them unconscious while they were lunging at him — dogs are nothing if not predictable.), and who for some reason is not exactly happy with unprovoked jumping of city dogs on him from behind.Report

2. Avatar Glyph

Those that stress me out, should find a short pier.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

I’m sure that the causes are overdetermined.

Step away from the internet.
    Step away from the television.
    Step away from the phone (meant more when we were tethered to landlines, of course).
    Spend 10-15 minutes with someone you like. Perhaps a dog. Perhaps a person *AND* a dog.
    Talk about trivial and silly things if you are with a person.
    Hold this person’s hand, if appropriate.
    Ideally, do this in a pretty place that smells good.

Man, I’m in a better mood just writing those sentences.Report

4. Avatar Damon

I always found being in the woods relaxing, especially if exercising. Walk/hike long enough and empty your mind of all the crap that occupies it and concentrate on your steps or the sounds around you while you burn off the chemical stressors.

Free the mind of all that crap and you find answers to things you needed but were too busy to find.Report

5. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Part of why we bought a house where we did was for the walkability of it. Not a lot of shops in immediate walking distance, but lots of sidewalks & walking paths through communities & woods.Report

6. Avatar crash

My experience is that the longer the time spent in the woods, the more dramatic and long-lasting the changes. I hiked two “long” trails, the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail, and I am of the opinion that both hikes permanently changed my mental make-up (for the better).Report

7. Avatar D Clarity

“Before gas prices became prohibitively expensive”

?

Have you bought gas recently? Maybe not if you don’t own a car, I guess.

Adjusted for inflation it is cheaper than it was in 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945, 1955, 1965, 1975 and 1985. Not quite as cheap as in 1995, cheaper than in 2005. These are the good old days.Report