Veterans Day

Oscar Gordon

A Navy Turbine Tech who learned to spin wrenches on old cars, Oscar has since been trained as an Engineer & Software Developer & now writes tools for other engineers. When not in his shop or at work, he can be found spending time with his family, gardening, hiking, kayaking, gaming, or whatever strikes his fancy & fits in the budget.

1. Avatar Glyph says:

Thanks!

I really hope that at least one of those hovercraft is named The U.S.S. Alan Parsons Project.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

Sadly, no. They are just numbered (I served on LCAC01 & LCAC33). Although the craftmaster usually dreams up a call sign when deployed (LCAC33 was WidowMaker 33, because our chief pictured himself a bad ass).

So it’s entirely possible there is/was a craftmaster who is/was a Simpson’s fan…Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Isn’t that what Joffrey Baratheon named his valyrian steel sword?Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

It’s a common term for a large hanging tree branch that is in danger of falling; I think it’s also a slang medical term for a specific type of heart attack. But it’s sort of a generic term for “kills men” (there’s more than one difficult ski run named this).Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

It was also a common term for felled trees that got hung up on other trees (back in the days when lumberjacks used hand saws & axes, instead of powertools & machinery).Report

2. Avatar Miss Mary says:

Thank you for your service, Oscar.

Last night my son and I spent the night in an emergency veterinary hospital with my roommate while we held his dog as she was put to sleep. He served in the Navy for six years in Afghanistan and other frontlines. When he came home, he got a puppy to help him with his PTSD, and she stayed by his side for 11 years. She faithfully woke him up from nightmares and helped him feel safe at home by alerting him of passersby. She staved off suicidal feelings when he got lonely. She was his best friend. This Veteran’s Day I learned how important the animals who comfort our Veterans and active duty service members are.

Thank you for your service!Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

That is both awesome & heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for being there for him. I know a lot of guys who would be lost if not for their pups.Report

3. Avatar Maribou says:

Thank you for your service, and thank you for sharing your experiences with us.Report