Idiocy, One-Third

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Glyph

Sure, things turned out OK for Rick Springfield in the end, but let’s spare a thought for poor, heartbroken, lonely-and-betrayed Jessie.

Also, screw you, SuperBloodMoonEclipse-obscuring cloud cover, I didn’t want to see it anyway.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Glyph

I saw it: I was impressed.. slightly larger than normal full moon, shadow crawls over it.. when the moon is entirely-near entirely covered the shadowed parts smoldered dull red. Really rather movie like except small and genuinely real. You can see how such an astronomical event would inspire folklore like mad.

Also Minnesota has had one of the most spectacular summers in recorded weather history and September was bar none the best weather I’ve ever seen. This state is so much better than Nova Scotia or Seattle.Report

2. Avatar greginak

Sigh…..must everything be talked about in relation to delicious chocolate and other salty tasty foods. Well okay yes, yes it should.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

Workout music!

I was a fan of Parliament. When I tried to work out to Massive Attack (for example), I found that I was… moving… very… slow

ly.

Aphex Twin is not as good as you’d think for working out.

Prodigy, Crystal Method, and Chemical Brothers are FREAKING AWESOME for workouts. They even have temporary cooldowns followed by “OKAY NOW GO ALL OUT GO GO GO GO GO ” sections.Report

4. Avatar aarondavid

For working out, I suggest the Menehan Street Band, Make the Road by Walking.

Not driving force like Jaybird is postulating, but serious grove…

5. Avatar Don Zeko

Glyph:
    45:33 was supposedly designed with running/workout rhythms (including cooldowns) in mind, but later that was admitted to be BS.

Still, it’s a damn nice record that seems like it’d work just fine for the purpose:

Careful, though. 4’33” is emphatically not good workout music.Report

6. Avatar Michael Drew

Hey Burt, Scott Walker’s out of the race. If you’re cheating even a little, you might as well at least know that.

You’re welome.Report

7. Avatar Michael Cain

A friend in Oregon tells me that warm weather started so early there this year that the craft brewers’ pumpkin beers are already showing up. The Great American Beer Festival was this past week — no gold medal was awarded in the pumpkin beer category.Report

8. Avatar Will H.

Congrats on the move to all-grain.
    I had some good extract recipes that I liked, but I found they never translated well to all-grain.
    Soon, you will likely experience concerns over your mash percentage. When that happened to me, I tried all different sorts of things, but the only thing that really worked was forgetting about it and paying more attention to the process.
    Other than that, mash pH is key, and you should always have test strips on hand. I’ve tried a few different types of acid and blends, but I like phosphoric acid the best (I use the liquid). It has a great shelf life, and it’s more difficult to over-do it than with everything else I tried. Just about everything else resulted in additions of more water to compensate for an over-acidified mash.

Other than that, I wold suggest that you play around with Special Roast a little bit.
    It will take over a pound to give a flavor component. It gives a dry, mildly toasty finish, and an orange-ish color.
    I tried it in a saison, and it was great; a bit dark to style though.Report