Mimicry!

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Avatar aarondavid

Pure Awesome!

You are right about Motorhead-it just works so well.

Oh, about Weird Al, he was a college radio DJ, at the same station my son is at!Report

2. Avatar krogerfoot

Have you ever seen StSanders shreds videos? Lots of imitators, none anywhere near so funny.

3. Avatar Chris

In feel like in that version, Zack is telling me that now is the time I should do what they tell me, which puts a different spin on that song entirely.

That Alice in Chains track, unfortunately, remains unlistenable.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird

It helps me listen to these songs (to which I’ve listened a hundred times) for the first time.

Kinda.

I can hear the good stuff in there isolated from the baggage.

Kinda.Report

5. Avatar Bert the Turtle

This post reminded me of Richard Cheese. Granted, he’s doing full cover versions of songs instead of keeping the original vocals and redoing the music, but still.

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Bert the Turtle

True. Something about keeping the original vocals really works for me though. It feels less like someone mocking the original, and more like a parallel-universe version of the original. Like if you were out somewhere and it came on, it might take you a few seconds to realize something was wrong.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Bert the Turtle

Also, the use of the original video adds something to it. Seeing the shirtless, sneering boys from RATM stomp and thrash about the stage while hearing the “Politely-Complain-About-The-Machine” version of “Killing in the Name of…” (and to see the crowd jumping around enthralled to it) adds to the surreal humor.Report