An Idiocy Sabbatical

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering litigator. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Recovering Former Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. I hope you can make an exception for the OT prime minister elections…Report

2. Are you a betting man, counselor?Report

3. Avatar Kolohe says:

“An Idiocy Sabatical” sounds like you’re going to spend the better part of a year immersed in idiocy, not eschewing it. Just sayin’Report

4. Avatar Glyph says:

Don’t drag the Iggster into this.Report

5. Avatar Stillwater says:

Yeah, dude. Right on. Get in touch with your individual, personal, private distinctness. Gonna miss ya posting on the upcoming Trump v Hillary v Cruz v Kim Davis Cagematches, but that seems like a small price to pay to get reacquainted with your inner idiot.Report

6. Avatar greginak says:

I’m seeing a hazy picture that looks like Don Draper sitting cross legged on a craggy NorCal coast.Report

7. Avatar Griff says:

Let us know what it’s like spending all of two months the way the vast majority of Americans spend almost all of their time.

ETA: Only sort of being snarky here.Report

8. Avatar aarondavid says:

Switch to a 5 wood, or better yet, 19 oz. of hardwood with an Irish linen grip used to crack an 8-ball into a carom side pocket!

Good luck councilor.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to aarondavid says:

My five wood is broken. The shot always curves off to the right sharply.Report

• You’re quitting on it and trying to hit the the ball on the upswing to get it up into the air. Head down, extend your right hand/arm all the way through impact, and the club face will take care of getting the ball up.Report

• I know this, yet keeping my head down and my arm straight is far, far too difficult.

So it must be the club. No other explanation is reasonable.Report

• A golf swing that allows reproducible results is perhaps the most unnatural overall motion in sports. I quit playing because it was too frustrating that my aging joints wouldn’t allow me to do it properly.Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to Burt Likko says:

Hmm. I do something weird with my wrists. I play rarely, so when I do it takes me 7 or 8 holes to remember WHAT I should do with my wrists (or shouldn’t) and then another 4 or 5 holes to fix it, and then by the time I hit the 18th I’m ready to move onto the next problem.

All i know is that for the first 9, if I hit the ball, it’s gonna end up somewhere in the weeds on the right.Report

• Avatar aarondavid in reply to Burt Likko says:

I have a friend who plays scratch at the Olympic club in the bay. His advice was always to put your feet together at the driving range, and I mean lock them up. THEN try all the Dave Peltze nonsense, the Chichi story s***. Nothing will force you to actually pay attention like that.

I would rather shoot 15 and 1 against Minnesota…

(I never hated golf like I hated billiards and thus never bothered to get good at it.)Report

9. Avatar LeeEsq says:

The entire state of the world makes me wonder if some sort of gatekeeper function is needed for large and diverse democracies.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to LeeEsq says:

The term for the guy who worked the gated barrier separating the judges from the public was “Chancellor”.Report

• Avatar LeeEsq in reply to Jaybird says:

I meant more in terms of a media system that determines what is or what is not acceptable public discourse. There were always fanzines on the liberal and conservative, or left or right, sides for people with really far out opinions but during the height of the Cold War, the media establishment strove to keep opinion within certain acceptable parameters. Now everybody is free to let their ID run wild with few repercussions.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to LeeEsq says:

Well, how’s this? You tell me (and Maribou) what you plan on watching and/or reading and/or playing this week, and we’ll tell you what you shouldn’t have had access to in the first place and you can then take it off your list.

Or are you more hoping for a list of acceptable media and you can pick and choose for anything off of that list?Report

• Avatar Lyle in reply to LeeEsq says:

Back in the days when newspapers were the primary means of info distribution (and carried further when the 30 min newscast per day was the tv news) there where such persons they were called editors. There was only so many column inches or seconds for news and the editor decided which stories got the resources. Today the newspaper is infinite in size and 24 hour tv news has the inverse problem of more time than stories.
      I sometimes wonder how it would be to have news delivered weekly only how many of the stories we see would remain then?Report

10. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

In related news, Survivor is suing Huckabee for unauthorized use of Eye Of The Tiger during Davis release.

Good luck with your sabbatical, counselor!Report

11. Avatar Murali says:

Burt, do you think it would be better if they had limits on campaign season? In Singapore, campaigning is only over 9 days. Today is cooling off day, so no rallies today and tomorrow is polling day. Of course nothing prevents you from revealing the candidate before nomination or for the candidate to work the ground before then. Only no political rallies.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to Murali says:

That’s an interesting question. In Canada, campaigns are shorter but not limited by law. The campaign starts when parliament is dissolved, so they can’t go on too long because someone should be running the country most of the time (and the constitution required parliament to sit once every 12 months).

One unfortunate effect at least lately is that the party in power starts early by spending public money on transparently partisan ads before calling the election, after which point they can only use their own money.

The thing that probably helps keep our elections short of spending limits. There’s no advantage to a long election of you can’t spend money on advertising.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Murali says:

Dude. Don’t tempt me like that. I’ve only just begun this thing.Report

12. Avatar Damon says:

Ah Burt, you are now only just realizing the true beauty of ignoring much of society. Just let it go. I was where you are a while back. Withdraw. Build the walls of the fortress of solitude and don’t come out. Allow only those worthy to enter. Allow what will happen eventually to come about. Continue to hope that if you survive, the world will be a better place, because if it isn’t, well, you won’t live much longer after realizing it, so either way, it’s all good.

No one cares, why should you?Report

13. Avatar Burt Likko says:

After 24 hours, I’ve seen and been tempted by many headlines and plenty of bait offered here by y’all. So far, no articles clicked on or read. It’s fortunate that I have football as a distraction.Report

14. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Who is this Donald Trump person you speak of?Report

15. “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to ____” book series makes a lot more sense to me now.Report