Breaking Vexillological News

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Will Truman

Bottom left, no question.

I wonder what Australia would have done if the republican referendum had passed.

Hawaii needs a new flag.

(edited because I accidentally said bottom right.)Report

2. Avatar Tod Kelly

A review of the actual submissions for the new NZ flag is one of those things Google was made for.Report

3. Avatar Miss Mary

Either of the black and white options. They are as non-flag like as I could imagine, and therefore they should absolutely be a flag. I wonder what the swirly one is representative of? Waves?Report

4. Avatar North

Man, all of the prospective replacements would get a low grade score on the flag assessment tests; Objects everywhere. I suspect the current flag may end up carrying the day.Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to North

I think it does okay. Reviewing the Five Rules:

1. Keep it Simple – Check, nope, nope, and check. For #2 and #3, though, I think it’s a balance with #5. I think what they lose here, they win by being distinct and instantly recognizable.
      2. Meaningful symbolism – Check, check, check, check
      3. Two of three colors – Check, nope, check, check. #2 goes over by one color. Still, that’s why I went with #3.
      4. No lettering or seals – Check, check, check, check
      5. Distinct – Check, check, check, check.Report

5. Avatar aarondavid

First, I await James K.’s thoughts. Second, this isn’t Hawaii, keep the Union Jack there.Report

• Avatar gingergene in reply to aarondavid

But they’re not part of the UK, right? Just the commonwealth. Seems like the Union Jack makes as much sense for New Zealand as it does for Canada. Which is to say, not at all to me: it’s a flag representing the union of Scotland and England, why should it be on the flag of a country halfway around the world from either of those two “United” Kingdoms? (And those inclined to say “history” hafta explain why only part of the country’s history gets on the flag.)Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to gingergene

Alternately, the Union Jack makes as much sense for New Zealand as it does for Australia…

Which is to say that man, thought not all, Commonwealth nations do use the jack.Report

• Avatar gingergene in reply to Will Truman

I think in most of the commonwealth countries where it’s used, it is a case of “it’s our history” with “history” being written by the winners, so to speak. New Zealand is a different animal in that respect: the Maori were far more successful than just about any other native population at holding off European advances. They basically fought them to a draw, and it’s reflected in the governance of the country.

Of course, I’m an American, so I think one of the first thing a colony should do after shedding the shackles of conquest (or before, if you have the time and a seamstress handy) is come up with a new flag. Also a national anthem, preferably one based on a drinking song.Report

• Avatar aarondavid in reply to gingergene

Well, for me at least @gingergene I do love the Union Jack, I think it is a good flag. Just not for Hawaii. (Also, the Union Jack unites Cornwall, Wales and North Ireland also. Not to be a pedant or anything…)

So a big part of it for me really comes down to “Why?” Which is why I really would like James K.’s opinion on it.Report

• Avatar James K in reply to aarondavid

@aarondavid

There are certainty many New Zealanders who agree with you, but the reason we have the Union Jack on our flag is that at the time we were a colonial possession of the British Empire. That hasn’t been true since shortly after World War Two.Report

• Avatar Alan Scott in reply to aarondavid

Canada ditched their union-jack based flag for one based on a distinctive leaf, and that’s proved to be the right choice. Not sure what makes NZ different.Report

6. Avatar LeeEsq

The real way to choose a new national flag is through a giant country wide game of capture the flag. Divide the nation into four teams and assign a flag to each team. If a team can host their flag at the capital than it becomes a new flag.Report

7. Avatar Autolukos

Top left. Or just go ahead and use the All Blacks’ flag directly.Report

8. Avatar notme

Meh, all the choices look rather cartoonish.Report

9. Avatar Alan Scott

I prefer the lower left. I think it does a good job of including a distinctive NZ symbol while being a natural evolution of their previous flag.

I’m really disappointed, though, that the short list includes two designs that are so similar. Absent IRV or similar, it screws with the vote, and it also knocks more distinctive choices out of the running. If you haven’t already, take a look at the long list of forty flags from which these four were chosen. There are several other designs that really stand out.Report